gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

NGSW Phase 2 Consolidation and info   Small Arms <20mm

Started 30/8/19 by gatnerd; 553302 views.
QuintusO

15/8/21

He said "something like an XM25", he said nothing about using the same caliber. Just seems... A little obtuse to not get that?

• Edited 15 August 2021 14:02  by  QuintusO
stancrist

15/8/21

Whether or not it is or is not "right" is a matter of opinion.

However, the convention of bore size = caliber is a reality. 

What was it you said about the people who deny reality?

Sten556

15/8/21

Or maybe the whole point of velocity being not so good because of the handcapty in weight, recoil, cost and complexity should be obvious. The go fast boys would want our troops carrying tripod weapon int combat because the muzzle velocity certainly makes up for it... that post exemplifies it perfectly the advantages of a sensible solution.

stancrist

15/8/21

Are you going to explain why 7mm (.284" bullet) is the "ideal" caliber?

Sten556

15/8/21

Maybe you should educate yourself more and read the work of Mr. Murray, he does that better than anyone else. But basically it's the ideal compromise of range, stopping power, recoil, etc for a rifle. It's the one size missing until now.

stancrist

15/8/21

When Murray talks about 7mm being the ideal caliber, he's referring to .284" diameter, not .277" diameter. 

So, if NGSW does get adopted, we will have a caliber that's smaller than his supposed "ideal" (7mm) caliber.

roguetechie

15/8/21

And yet my follow on comment is still dead In the x ring since we discussed this here when these articles first hit...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/taskandpurpose.com/news/army-grenade-launcher-xm25-cdte-punisher-weapon/%3famp

How is it that one of us works for an actual MOD and they're the one that's shockingly more badly informed?

roguetechie

15/8/21

We need something with oh I don't know between a 22 and 24 inch barrel that does oh let's say no more than 2600 fps and is let's just call it between 270 and 280 caliber.

EmericD

15/8/21

When someone writes "something like an XM25", I have a bias to consider that he is talking about the XM25 or a close derivative with similar ballistics, not an imaginary weapon delivering imaginary ballistics.

EmericD

15/8/21

roguetechie said:

And yet my follow on comment is still dead In the x ring since we discussed this here when these articles first hit... https://www.google.com/amp/s/taskandpurpose.com/news/army-grenade-launcher-xm25-cdte-punisher-weapon/%3famp How is it that one of us works for an actual MOD and they're the one that's shockingly more badly informed?

Where is the reference to the Mk47 in this article?

What I'm reading is a comparison between the XM25 capability and the M320 firing the 40x46 mm Low Velocity grenade, which is what I pointed out a few post above.