gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

NGSW Phase 2 Consolidation and info   Small Arms <20mm

Started 30/8/19 by gatnerd; 191429 views.
JPeelen

7-Jun

Bundeswehr tests involving  10 different makes of 5.56 NATO rifles have shown that M855A1 does not at all "just work fine" in foreign 5.56 NATO weapons. The M855 is also problematic in some weapons.  

EmericD

7-Jun

stancrist said:

So there's no proof that M855A1 actually does induce problems in other 5.56 weapons, and it could be that they operate just fine with M855A1 ammo?

Yes, it could.

But if it does, then you should probably also buy a lotery ticket.

Remember that at least one homologated M855 is able to operate the M16A2 but not the M4... and that one brand of M855 that is OK for the M16A2 and the M4, is also overgassing the L85A2.

gatnerd

7-Jun

EmericD said:

But it's a moot point, as even during NATO "Weapon & Sensors" subgroup meetings the US remained tight lipped about the M855A1 (or NGSW). In fact, reading "The Firearm Blog" provides more information about US programs than NATO meetings

Ah, sorry to hear that man. Definitely a dick move on the US part there.

Needless to say if were US autogun forum members in charge of these programs, we'd be a lot more open to sharing info ;-) 

Farmplinker

7-Jun

Don't worry. If we get WW2 Russia Strikes Back, we'll Lend-Lease all the 6.8 Bleedmoor Free Europe needs, at completely reasonable terms.

smg762

8-Jun

Well with a burst only gun u don't need heavy barrel so it's a 3kg gun. Thus the belt saves weight over mags.

I mean the most common m203 grenades. Visually they appear closest to a 25mm round in size. I don't know though 

DavidPawley

8-Jun

You’re dodging the point.

1. Regarding HE content: I told you how to find the answer yourself. I’m not going to to the work for you.
  2. 3kg belt fed M27? In the sage words of Wolfgang Pauli you’re not even wrong. 
renatohm

8-Jun

Tony has posted loads of info on his blog, surf it.

And no, there's no such thing as a 3 kg belt fed gun, unless Nerf counts.

RovingPedant

8-Jun

smg762 said...

Thus the belt saves weight over mags.

But the feed mechanism you need for belts, that isn’t necessary for magazines, weighs something.

Then you need some kind of container for the belt to stop it getting snagged, damaged, dirtied or generally being annoying to handle.

Farmplinker

8-Jun

While it's a cringeworthy phrase, "The Internet is your friend" applies to finding out information. Just put in your search engine= "40mm grenade launcher" or "25mm auto cannon" and check out the results.

Also, spend time and money on some reference books. Several of the () of the World books have good basic information. I understand our host has written several books that are very useful; look up "Anthony Williams Armaments books". If you can't afford them, a local library might have some, or can get them through inter library loan.

roguetechie

8-Jun

Why would you think you don't need a heavy barrel for a burst only gun, heat dissipation concerns don't just go away.

As far as a 3 kg belt fed goes, even as someone who thinks most belt feds are far heavier than they need to be i don't believe that you're getting a 3 kg belt fed.

On another note, I don't know if you've noticed but people are getting pretty tired of your constant asking of questions in the form of nonsensical statements and then an utter lack of engagement when you get a response.

At this point it's not even about all your utterly insane and disjointed "ideas", it's becoming a Matter of your non-existent social skills also becoming a problem.

I can't speak for anyone but myself here but I won't be bothering to respond to anything else you write unless and until you actually decide to engage in worthwhile back and forth dialogue.

There's genuinely no point answering your questions anyway since you don't seem to learn or have any idea of how any of the stuff you're asking about works and fits together.

So yeah, start actually engaging in back and forth or be prepared for people to just not answer you.