autogun

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by autogun

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons, particularly in larger calibres (12.7+mm).

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Something different - an AUG in .40 S&W   General Military Discussion

Started 4-Aug by autogun; 696 views.
stancrist

4-Aug

autogun said:

I like bullpups in general and the AUG in particular, but I'm scratching my head over this one.

Why?  Since their sidearm is a .40 S&W pistol, a submachine gun in the same caliber seems like a good choice.

marandreas

4-Aug

I'm more shocked by the charging handles.

They look A1-style at first glance, but they appear to be vertical.

Oh, and also there's two of them.

autogun

4-Aug

I can see the point of minimising the number of calibres in military units engaged in frequent and sometimes extended small-arms battles, but police? Hardly a significant issue, I would have thought.

Anyway, that just looks like one big chunk of gun for the power of the cartridge.

• Edited 04 August 2020 8:26  by  autogun
stancrist

4-Aug

autogun said:

I can see the point of minimising the number of calibres in military units engaged in frequent and sometimes extended small-arms battles, but police? Hardly a significant issue, I would have thought.

I agree.  Nevertheless, equipping police with a SMG of the same caliber as their issue pistol does seem to be a not uncommon practice in many countries.

British Police Officer with MP5A3 submachine gun - YouTube

Farmplinker

4-Aug

Like their 9mms?

autogun

4-Aug

I have no problems with an MP5 - that'a the right size of SMG to have in a pistol calibre. My surprise was that they picked an assault rifle in a pistol calibre.

The MP5 weighs 2-3 kg depending on spec, with the AUG SMG around a kilo more. Also, the AUG can't fold its stock, an option with the MP5.

The AUG just seems to me to be too much gun for the ammo. In the kind of urban fighting typical of the more lawless parts of Brazilian cities, handiness is surely a virtue. Why would you want anything bigger than an MP5? The extra size and weight would just be a handicap.

stancrist

4-Aug

autogun said:

The AUG just seems to me to be too much gun for the ammo. In the kind of urban fighting typical of the more lawless parts of Brazilian cities, handiness is surely a virtue. Why would you want anything bigger than an MP5?

I'm pretty sure that the AUG SMG is shorter than the MP5 with either fixed stock, or with telescoping stock extended for firing.

Sao Paulo Police Select the Steyr AUG SMG in .40 Caliber -The ...

File:MP540.jpg - Internet Movie Firearms Database - Guns in Movies ...

Also, since there is less of the bullpup extending forward of the shooting hand, I'd think that the AUG SMG would be more maneuverable than the MP5 in confined spaces.

Steyr AUG Para 9x19mm Submachine Gun – The Armourers Bench

• Edited 04 August 2020 22:04  by  stancrist
gatnerd

4-Aug

The 16" 5.56 AUG is the same length as the MP5. 

The AUG .40 is 24" long, weight of 6.7lbs. 

By comparison, the MP5 is 21.65" with stock collapsed, 27" stock extended, and weighs 6.83lbs

https://www.steyr-arms.com/en/military-law-enforcement/assault-rifles/aug-40/

https://www.heckler-koch.com/en/products/military/submachine-guns/mp5/mp5/technical-data.html

Overall, if a SMG that shares magazines with your service pistol is desired, this is a solid option. 

180gr .40 S&W does 1150fps / 529 ftlbs from a 13" barrel, so fairly stout for a SMG. 

autogun

5-Aug

I sit corrected - the data I looked at gave different answers.

gatnerd

5-Aug

All good in the hood; I didn't know the specs either until I looked it up.