autogun

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by autogun

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons, particularly in larger calibres (12.7+mm).

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Energy vs. Momentum   General Military Discussion

Started 5-Aug by JesseH1234; 3296 views.
gatnerd

5-Aug

JesseH1234 said:

My conclusion: unless one is designing a round specifically for those first two instances, the projectile's momentum is a much more useful measure of the relative "power" of the round.   There is probably a momentum/sectional density ratio that would give a pretty good estimate of a non-deforming projectile's ability to go through stuff.  I know this is going to generate a bajillion "but stopping power" type replies.  Trajectory flatness is also another consideration, but is a different conversation.   I'm really curious if someone can point out where my thinking is technically flawed; I'm trying to learn here. 

Its essentially wrong in reality. 

Using Power Factor - which is a simple measure of momentum, we get the following.

.45 ACP 230gr @ 830fps = PF 190

10mm 200gr @ 1200fps = PF 240

5.56 62gr @ 2950fps (M4 velocity) = PF 182

Yet, despite having lower momentum, the 5.56 produces vastly nastier wounds and greater tissue destruction. It also has superior penetration of intermediate barriers. 

stancrist

5-Aug

JesseH1234 said:

when it comes to dangerous game, everyone reverts back to the oldie but goodie big slow bullet calibers

When it comes to the most dangerous game, almost everyone sticks with small fast calibers.

Senators Question Army Chief on Supposed Polymer Magazine Ban ...

Red7272

6-Aug

JesseH1234 said:

My conclusion: unless one is designing a round specifically for those first two instances, the projectile's momentum is a much more useful measure of the relative "power" of the round.   There is probably a momentum/sectional density ratio that would give a pretty good estimate of a non-deforming projectile's ability to go through stuff. 

Short answer is no, the long answer is bullet construction. 

Shoot a 45 ACP FMJ at someone and it's going to make a straight neat hole with straight through them. Unless it hits something important the immediate effect is often quite limited.  

Shoot a 45 ACP load that is basically an otherwise empty jacket containing 19 needle bearings at someone and you get 19 separate wound tracks and 19 chances of hitting something important.  It's not going to do a damn thing to a metal plate but a soft and squishy human is another thing entirely.

Back when I was shooting pigs ( 60 to 150 kgs and usually covered in a few cm of mud) the 130 grain speer varmint bullet disemboweled them. And to be absolutely clear, 95% of the time they dropped like a stone, the other 5% of the time it just made them mad.  There was also the chance of hitting a lot of mud and the wound being superficial. 

The 168 grain matchking on the other hand plowed straight on through and out the other side. If that bullet hit a shoulder bone the pig landed on its face and died soon after. It didn't expand and didn't really tumble either, just crunched on though bone, bowles and muscle and exited, even if it was lengthways through a 100 kg pig.

Humans on the other hand are usually less than a 40 cm wide with all the important bits in the back.  You can try to hit the important bits with a slow moving round nose, but a bullet that yaws or fragments is going to do a lot more damage to soft tissue and can also hit those important bits. 

Now back to your bullet hitting a bowling ball. A better example is a bullet trap grenade. That  nearly 1000 mps, 3.5 gram bullet is slowed down to about 60 mps within a few cm and nearly all that energy is transferred to the grenade that the bullet is now a part of. Some becomes heat or vibration, or even light, but most of it is transferred to pushing along the grenade. 

Mount a bullet trap on a gong and how far it moves will be a lot closer. 

gatnerd

6-Aug

JesseH1234 said:

Another fly in the energy ointment is that when it comes to dangerous game, everyone reverts back to the oldie but goodie big slow bullet calibers, when a lighter/faster bullet gun with similar energy would be a much handier and lighter kicking weapon.... which in itself presents another paradox.  All this "energy" cannot be free.  Maybe I am just dense but I doubt I was the only one a bit confused by this. 

Just to ruin this a bit more, but all of the 'dangerous game' cartridges also have a shit ton of energy and plenty of velocity. 

The most common, globally rated (from Africa to Alaska) dangerous game round is the .375 H&H.

300gr @ 2560fps = 4,365 ft/lbs of energy. 

QuintusO

6-Aug

If that were the case, I should be dead.

https://youtu.be/X7EWKiXct48

No, momentum does not equal "power". Not at all. Energy is a much better indicator, but it's not the only factor.

In reply toRe: msg 1
JesseH1234

6-Aug

JesseH1234 said:

I know this is going to generate a bajillion "but stopping power" type replies.

It's almost like I'm psychic or something. 

QuintusO

6-Aug

Having a bunch of experts correct you doesn't mean you're psychic, it means you're wrong.

You think NOBODY here has considered momentum before? I've empirically tested it. There is no correlation to lethality. The theory doesn't even make sense because momentum is conserved.

You're not a poor persecuted genius riling up the academy, you're spouting factually inaccurate half baked thrice-debunked BS and wondering why there's pushback.

QuintusO

6-Aug

There's a very large disconnect in your logic where you ally the Newtonian elastic collision dynamics with lethality. They are not allied. The momentum of a .30-06 gunshot that stops in the target will only accelerate a 200lb adult male to a speed of about 0.2 miles per hour, yet that round is highly lethal. It is lethal because of the work it does on the target, and an object's capacity to perform work is expressed by its kinetic energy:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/07/16/ballistics-201-introducing-new-way-thinking-terminal-effectiveness-force-energy-work/

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/07/17/ballistics-201-introducing-new-way-thinking-terminal-effectiveness-energy-budget/

Also, you make a very serious error in that you mistakenly take "ft-lbs" to mean the ability to move X pounds mass 1 foot. That is incorrect, "foot-pounds" is more properly called "foot-pounds FORCE", as it is an expression of the ability to do work equivalent to to that many pounds force exerted over one foot of distance.

RovingPedant

6-Aug

Energy, momentum and power are all well defined and understood properties. I don’t know why you would feel the need to redefine them and put them in quotes.

nincomp

6-Aug

QuintusO said...

If that were the case, I should be dead.

https://youtu.be/X7EWKiXct48

HA!  I bet that you actually died but are too stubborn to admit it!  :)