autogun

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by autogun

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons, particularly in larger calibres (12.7+mm).

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Muzzle brakes?   General Military Discussion

Started 26-Aug by autogun; 1048 views.
In reply toRe: msg 1
autogun

27-Aug

I've thought of an even earlier one: the 37 mm McClean cannon which first emerged in around 1904. It is supposed to have been quite effective in reducing recoil.

Old_ROF

31-Aug

Tony

This may be of interest.

AMCP 706-251

Engineering Design Handbook - Guns Series – Muzzle Devices

Para: 1-3.1.1 Muzzle Brake History

Despite the lack of a strong incentive its invention before 1888 (the advent of the recoil mechanism), the first muzzle brake appeared in 1842 in France built by Colonel de Beaulieu.  A crude affair, it consisted of a series of holes in the muzzle region of the barrel. The holes were sloped rearward to divert the expanding gases in that direction. Twenty-one years later, the French military conducted tests with a 106 mm gun with 36 holes of 60 mm diameter inclined rearward at 45 degrees. Data published by de Beaulieu disclosed the great success of doubling the accuracy and having the recoil distance reduced to 25 percent of its normal distance with only a 6 in muzzle velocity. Reservations should be made with respect to the reliability and accuracy of these claims unless all data are available. However, this first official attempt did establish the muzzle brake as a practical and useful component of a gun.

....... etc. etc. 

Ref:   http://everyspec.com/ARMY/ARMY-General/download.php?spec=AMCP_706-251_MAY1968.050898.pdf

Also some later work.

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/513629.pdf

autogun

1-Sep

Thank you - I never would have guessed they went that far back!

Farmplinker

1-Sep

+1. I vaguely knew there were some experiments with black powder artillery, but not as early as 1842!

Red7272

1-Sep

Farmplinker said:

+1. I vaguely knew there were some experiments with black powder artillery, but not as early as 1842!

Those French with their science. I have Naval Gunnery 1855 and so much of the innovation and research was from French, 

JesseH1234

11-Oct

That McClean cannon is very interesting; I was trying to think of a flash hider that could also serve as a muzzle break to a certain extent and I came up with something very close.