gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

LMAO Germany adopts an AR-15   Small Arms <20mm

Started 14/9/20 by QuintusO; 49587 views.
poliorcetes

30-Nov

I find it absurd. They should have adquired the lowest number of optic possible for really first line units and wait for market development.

gatnerd

1-Dec

poliorcetes said:

They should have adquired the lowest number of optic possible for really first line units and wait for market development

It does seem like they are putting the cart before the horse buying the optics before they've even sorted out the rifle situation. 

And yes, given the developments with smart optics, and even just the continued refinement of 1-6x and 1-8x optics, it does seem an odd choice to go alllll in on the pretty dated Spectre 1-4x, which was introduced in 2003. 

On the flipside though, the Spectre is reportedly a very sharp, durable optic, which offers pretty comparable performance to a RDS + 4X ACOG in a single, non ITAR optic. So certainly better then the legacy Hensholdt G36 optic, or just mounting an Aimpoint RDS. 

RovingPedant

1-Dec

gatnerd said...

It does seem like they are putting the cart before the horse buying the optics before they've even sorted out the rifle situation. 

I’ve known a few people who have brought a new rifle for their glass.

poliorcetes

1-Dec

absolutelly. It's a nice choice by itself and compared with others of the same category. But 100.000?? All 100k rifles are going to use them?

Specially if finally Bundeswehr is going to adopt a retrofit kit for the G36

stancrist

1-Dec

poliorcetes said:

100.000?? All 100k rifles are going to use them?

Is there some reason all 100k should not use them?

roguetechie

2-Dec

Probably the best argument for that is that not only is the DR not light but 4x is often not enough these days.

Anyone know what the eye relief is on the DR in 1x?

The one thing I don't particularly like about LPVO's is the touchy eye relief and eye box with them.

Im actually considering grabbing the primary arms / holosun optic with the ACSS Vulcan reticle which actually shows you directly in the sight picture if your alignment is off with it to plop on top of my 1-8's and 1-4's.

This will add even more weight which is far from optimal though and will probably necessitate going to a sopmod style stock instead of my MFT minimalists I tend to prefer.

JSSAP is working on some very interesting stuff in the way of 3d printed optics including digitally enhanced versions, we'll see how that goes.

In reply toRe: msg 206
gatnerd

2-Dec

Good overview of the Elcan:

Elcan SpecterDR 1-4x Review: The Best Combat Optic? (HD)

I do some shooting with the Elcan SpecterDR mounted up on a couple rifles, go over the features of the optic, and what I think of it overall.Elcan SpecterDR:...

And 

Elcan Specter DR 1-4 Optic

Aaron reviews the Elcan Specter DR from Kenzies Optics.

https://www.raytheon.com/sites/default/files/2019-05/RifleSightCatalogue.Webview.pdf

https://armament.com/content/SpecterDR1x-4x-WEB.pdf

Its main benefits over the ACOG is that its 1x + 4x in one, can work with night vision, and being LED powered, the user can set the brightness to the ideal level (ACOG is often either too bright or night bright enough.) Also being non-ITAR and non-tritium likely important for the EU. 

Compared to a LPVO its general benefit is being more compact, lighter than a LPVO+Mount, faster magnification changes, and better battery life (~600-3000hrs vs ~100-150hrs for LPVO like Razor and Tango). I suspect its also more rugged than most LPVO's. 

In reply toRe: msg 207
gatnerd

2-Dec

Since were talking optics, as of this moment 2021, Japan of all places is currently at the forefront of military issue optics, fielding the ultra compact 1-8 March F scope by DEON as their standard issue for the Howa Type 20. 

https://marchscopes.com/scopes/d8sv24fiml/

poliorcetes

2-Dec

Opportunity cost. We are talking about a really nice amount of money applied both to rifles which are going to see combat and to rifles which doesn't.

Actually, since Von der Linen is out of Defense Ministry office, substitution process should be called off. Maybe 10.000 rifles should receive a retrofit kit such as steyr-wilcox one and that's all.

If they want to adquire just one fleet of sights, it's an option. But 100k is just absurd IMHO