gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

LMAO Germany adopts an AR-15   Small Arms <20mm

Started 14/9/20 by QuintusO; 103483 views.
Wessels3

6-Mar

One wonders how the Russian threat profile will develop during this period of European military build up. 

gatnerd

6-Mar

Wessels3 said:

One wonders how the Russian threat profile will develop during this period of European military build up

Well with their pretty appalling loses so far in terms of equipment, plus the sanctions, its hard to imagine their military being much improved.

That is unless they become isolated to the point of becoming a sort of super north korea / stalinist russia, and just re-orient their society to a mass re-armament campaign, backed by chinese technology. 

JPeelen

6-Mar

I could not agree more. You have hit the nail on the head.

roguetechie

6-Mar

I personally expect to start seeing more Chinese stuff show up in Russian hands at some point in the next couple years, especially in areas where Russia is way behind like night vision and IR.

IF

This happens we will actually see the Russians and Chinese both get more capable in the short to midterm. I don't even dare try to predict anything further than 3 years though

Wessels3

7-Mar

That is unless they become isolated to the point of becoming a sort of super north korea / stalinist russia, and just re-orient their society to a mass re-armament campaign, backed by chinese technology. 

The Chinese seem to be quiet/semi-neutral up to now, at least on the face of it. China is hugely trade dependent. I expect they are also surprised by the ferociousness of the West's sanctions. Might they not decide to distance themselves from Russia, to avoid the possibilitiy of also becoming targeted by the sanctions?

gatnerd

7-Mar

Wessels3 said:

Might they not decide to distance themselves from Russia, to avoid the possibilitiy of also becoming targeted by the sanctions

Absolutely possible. Frankly the geopolitical ramifications for everyone are incredible in terms of possibilities and 3rd order effects going forward. 

We could see China distance itself from Russia, both the avoid santions and to lower the temperature with the US and EU.

We could also see China turn Russia into a Client State similar to Pakistan and Iran, where China provides arms and investment in exchange for energy and resources. 

We might even see China try to heavily re-arm Russia in order to keep up the pressure on NATO and especially the US, in order to divide the US's attention and prevent the US from completing its pivot to Asia / focus entirely on Containing China. 

Wildcard, we could see a coup in Russia following an economic collapse, with a western friendly regime take power. And the US can do what it should have done in 1991 - extend a genuine olive branch to Russia and implement a Marshal Plan 2.0 / work to integrate Russia into the EU and possibly NATO. AKA permanently defeat an enemy by making them a friend, ala Germany and Japan. Then like a buddy movie, we can all team up to contain china together. 

No one knows whats going to happen. But we're in a time of profound change - history has resumed. 

All I think we can say with confidence is that we're likely to see a big bump in defense spending world wide. 

• Edited 07 March 2022 8:44  by  gatnerd
Wessels3

7-Mar

Thanks for the comprehensive answer. 

Wessels3

7-Mar

All I think we can say with confidence is that we're likely to see a big bump in defense spending world wide. 

It seems that Western strategists feel that the two big threats are Russia and China and that the intention is that Russia would be contained by Europe, once Europe has upscaled sufficiently, while the US, aided by Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Australia, New Zealand, etc. would (try to) keep China in check. 

Farmplinker

7-Mar

Chinese NV for Russian jet engines?