autogun

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by autogun

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons, particularly in larger calibres (12.7+mm).

  • 3174
    MEMBERS
  • 180388
    MESSAGES
  • 39
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Stryker 30 mm vs 105 mm?    Army Guns 20+mm

Started 29-Sep by autogun; 3240 views.
RovingPedant

From: RovingPedant

29-Sep

120mm mortar in NEMO turret? They’ve been testing it.

autogun

From: autogun

29-Sep

That could be an interesting and versatile alternative.

Farmplinker

From: Farmplinker

29-Sep

I think I saw something about mounting Javelins on the RWS. How much was wishful thinking and how much was actually going to get done, I don't know.

roguetechie

From: roguetechie

29-Sep

Jav's on the 30mm system are definitely coming and it may be doable to mount them up to newer smaller RWS Setups too.

jxexqx

From: jxexqx

29-Sep

Martlet / LMM would seem like a good idea. Three guidance modes, light weight, low-ish cost and based on proven tech.

graylion

From: graylion

2-Oct

I still think NEMO/AMOS could be the most versatile infantry support system. Especially if adding cannister and Strix

Red7272

From: Red7272

2-Oct

graylion said:

I still think NEMO/AMOS could be the most versatile infantry support system. Especially if adding cannister and Strix

And yet absolutely no one uses them for that. Being a deathtrap when penetrated is something of a downside. As has been done to death, a fire support vehicle for infantry needs significant armour and a ADS. All the other things like wall breaching are less critical but the ability to take an RPG 29 on the nose is the minimum level of protection required. 

graylion

From: graylion

2-Oct

Red7272 said:

graylion said: I still think NEMO/AMOS could be the most versatile infantry support system. Especially if adding cannister and Strix And yet absolutely no one uses them for that. Being a deathtrap when penetrated is something of a downside. As has been done to death, a fire support vehicle for infantry needs significant armour and a ADS. All the other things like wall breaching are less critical but the ability to take an RPG 29 on the nose is the minimum level of protection required.

So armour the turret some more? This is not inherent in the gun system?

RovingPedant

From: RovingPedant

2-Oct

Red7272 said...

And yet absolutely no one uses them for that. Being a deathtrap when penetrated is something of a downside. As has been done to death, a fire support vehicle for infantry needs significant armour and a ADS. All the other things like wall breaching are less critical but the ability to take an RPG 29 on the nose is the minimum level of protection required. 

Sound like a difference in definition of what infantry support entails. 

Taking a SP mortar into RPG range does not sound wise. The mortar comprehensively outranges the RPG, so why play to your enemy’s strength?

Red7272

From: Red7272

2-Oct

RovingPedant said:

Sound like a difference in definition of what infantry support entails. 

Nope, infantry need direct fire support and that platform needs to be armoured to resist infantry AT weapons. The obvious ones are the RPG 29 but also ATGMs. 

RovingPedant said:

Taking a SP mortar into RPG range does not sound wise. The mortar comprehensively outranges the RPG, so why play to your enemy’s strength?

Yup completely stupid, which is my point. 

TOP