autogun

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by autogun

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons, particularly in larger calibres (12.7+mm).

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

shooting down drones with small arms   General Military Discussion

Started 6-Oct by autogun; 1010 views.
autogun

6-Oct

The Dutch have been experimenting with SmartShooter:

The Air Force was already familiar with the possibilities of the 'SmartShooter' smart aiming system. The only thing that was unknown was whether it is also effective in combination with the Colt C7 5.56mm long-range automatic rifle.

The system uses video analysis. A shooter aims his weapon at the target with the SmartShooter. So far, it is the same as with a normal aiming system. With the SmartShooter, the shooter selects the target by pulling the trigger, and holds the pulled trigger while continuing to aim at the target.

As soon as the system 'sees' that the target will be hit, the SmartShooter automatically will fire the weapon. So, it does not work autonomously, and the shooter selects the target, aims and pulls the trigger.  

When the Dutch Army organized a shooting day to experiment with the SmartShooter system, the Air Force joined in to test its effectiveness against drones. A section of the top ten UAS detected by the Air Force in the Netherlands was fired.

The Colt rifle in combination with the SmartShooter system proved to be very effective: all targets were eliminated with a few rounds.

Farmplinker

6-Oct

Could sell this rig to naturalist camps.

taschoene

6-Oct

Link to the manufacturer's page for the product (SMASH AD is a specific version with C-UAS capability)

https://www.smart-shooter.com/products/smash-ad/

poliorcetes

6-Oct

I have serious doubts agains a wide range of targets. Either:

1. They are small and quick (race quads)

2. They fly past 500m and aren't very big (cat 1 military drones, 3-4m wingspan)

Red7272

6-Oct

poliorcetes said:

I have serious doubts agains a wide range of targets.

I suspect it is the drones the Russians were facing recently that this is intended for.  Radio controlled drones bought as $200 in parts off the local version of Amazon with a grenade or two taped on. 

taschoene

6-Oct

The US has been dealing with those in Iraq.  Quadcopters with grenade droppers, that sort of thing.

In reply toRe: msg 6
Mr. T (MrT4)

6-Oct

Maybe for some Aliexprees quadcopters, anything else doesn't need to come into small arms range 

In reply toRe: msg 7
gatnerd

6-Oct

A good open source look at the drones being used in the middle east:

https://www.bellingcat.com/tag/drones/

In reply toRe: msg 8
gatnerd

7-Oct

In terms of these 'self firing' Fire Control Units, I'm surprised we haven't seen one adopted for use in the Carl Gustaf of similar.

Rather then a drone, it locks onto a moving vehicle, and wont fire until the right moment to make a hit. 

Seems like such a system would be a sort of '80/20' bridge between unguided and guided weapons systems. 

roguetechie

7-Oct

I agree, the self firing thing should be added to quite a few things provided that there's an easy one click hard override to allow you to take back control.