autogun

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by autogun

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons, particularly in larger calibres (12.7+mm).

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

shooting down drones with small arms   General Military Discussion

Started 6-Oct by autogun; 1014 views.
Red7272

6-Oct

poliorcetes said:

I have serious doubts agains a wide range of targets.

I suspect it is the drones the Russians were facing recently that this is intended for.  Radio controlled drones bought as $200 in parts off the local version of Amazon with a grenade or two taped on. 

taschoene

6-Oct

The US has been dealing with those in Iraq.  Quadcopters with grenade droppers, that sort of thing.

In reply toRe: msg 6
Mr. T (MrT4)

6-Oct

Maybe for some Aliexprees quadcopters, anything else doesn't need to come into small arms range 

In reply toRe: msg 7
gatnerd

6-Oct

A good open source look at the drones being used in the middle east:

https://www.bellingcat.com/tag/drones/

In reply toRe: msg 8
gatnerd

7-Oct

In terms of these 'self firing' Fire Control Units, I'm surprised we haven't seen one adopted for use in the Carl Gustaf of similar.

Rather then a drone, it locks onto a moving vehicle, and wont fire until the right moment to make a hit. 

Seems like such a system would be a sort of '80/20' bridge between unguided and guided weapons systems. 

roguetechie

7-Oct

I agree, the self firing thing should be added to quite a few things provided that there's an easy one click hard override to allow you to take back control.

RovingPedant

7-Oct

roguetechie said...

provided that there's an easy one click hard override to allow you to take back control.

Possibly a progressive trigger like the Steyr AUG, so first pressure is shoot with the fire control while pulling through that is the mechanical release.

Mr. T (MrT4)

7-Oct

Smartshooter has a trigger 'block' in the pistolgrip and the trigger does not change so i would assume it can be deactivated.

roguetechie

8-Oct

There's actually already multiple patents out there for fail open hybrid electromechanical fcg's specifically for AR's.

It's not all that difficult, space intensive, or intrusive to pull off any number of ways.

For a variety of reasons I'd really like to see one of these hybrid fcg's designed and implemented so that in FA mechanical mode the gun runs open bolt.

If you're already getting into the guts of the gun why not go open bolt full while you're in there?

That would give you a good cross section of capabilities with which to use these guns most effectively.