autogun

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by autogun

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons, particularly in larger calibres (12.7+mm).

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Chinese loitering kamikaze drones   General Military Discussion

Started 13-Oct by Mr. T (MrT4); 1454 views.
autogun

14-Oct

Red7272 said:

Also how the Bofors 40 mm self destruct in WWII worked IIRC.

Probably - I know that the USN's 1.1 inch SD round worked in that way. The alternative method was to build self-destruct into the fuze, but that's added complication. If you are going to want a tracer AA cannon round anyway (as you should for all AA ammo against manned aircraft, for the distraction effect), it makes sense to link this with SD. Not only do SD rounds avoid the problem of live ammo missing the target and flying on to hit friendlies, the sight of the shells detonating among the attacking aircraft adds to the distraction effect.

Mr. T (MrT4)

14-Oct

The RWS optics might not be well suited of scanning the sky 24/7, but a dedicated optic on at least one of the vehicles like that Hanwha EOTS could ,then have target data distributed to units RWS upgraded with some AD function, 40mm airburst like Nammo has demonstrated with Kongsberg RWS might be the ticket.this one might do it without dual-feed grenade luncher as it seems to be a versatile projectile.

Watching the vids of RWS ,most are slow as hell and not very 'fluid' in their movement ,they kinda go from pointing at point A to point B in a rather rough way,would need be considerably more fluid and faster moving for Air defense role but that is likely very doable. At the prices manufacturers charge for RWS you would expect this to be of no extra cost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPaC1LTrHy0

But likely the EW might be the best shield. 

Like Poliorcetes said Chinese can likely make this in absolutely mindboggling numbers for not much $$ shooting down and chasing each drone might not be practical. 

One more thing,i can only imagine how these things impact troops morale as suddenly anything moveing or making noise in the sky can be a threat not just stuff on the ground.

Red7272

14-Oct

poliorcetes said:

This thing is designed to be deployed and used by the hundred of thousands at least

That would be an extraordinary waste of money. Also they are individually controlled in the video which makes them vulnerable to ECM, decoys, and distinguishing live targets from dead ones. Even a battalion of these things (24 launchers based on artillery organisation) would be less than 1000 rounds. If the round cost is $20000 and the vehicle $ 1000000 it is still not something that will be practical in the numbers you are suggesting. 

poliorcetes

14-Oct

with economies of scale and leveraging as much commercial component as possible, I find feasible to reduce one order of magnitude your figure. I would assume that this CH-901 is going to be less exquisite that an AeronVironment switchblade 300 or a Coyote

Civilian drone industry is almost entirelly theirs. That should mean something

Red7272

14-Oct

poliorcetes said:

with economies of scale and leveraging as much commercial component as possible, I find feasible to reduce one order of magnitude your figure.

By pulling numbers out of your ass you mean. A military grade system with a multi year shelf life will not be using a lot or any commercial components. The issue is as much the logistics of fielding them as their cost, so there might well be massive numbers, but their success will depend as much on SEAD, ELINT and ECCM as numbers.

poliorcetes

15-Oct

I cannot understand how my post is connected with your answer. Excuse me for grossly figure any quote

In reply toRe: msg 13
Mr. T (MrT4)

15-Oct

The drone used is supposedly CG-901 ,is a fairly short range drone ,10km is close to some ATGMs and this is much slower than ATGM.

It also seems its either/or not both a recon or attack drone as it has ither gimbal camera payload or a warhead  with targeting optics 

The CH-901 kamikaze drone combines the advantages of a drone and a bomb and can hover for 40 minutes before attacking a target. It can be used by special forces during counter-terrorist operations.
CH-901 is a portable assassin drone that weighs 9kg and can be easily carried by one soldier and launched from the field to hunt down and attack opponents.

The CH-901 kamikaze drone can be equipped with warheads or a camera to perform reconnaissance missions and detect enemy positions.
The CH-901 can fly at speeds from 7 to 120 km / h with a range of up to 10 km and, loaded with a high-explosive warhead, can hit lightly armored targets.

CH-901 can be armed with a fragmentation charge or HEAT warhead capable of penetrating 10 cm of armor and destroying tanks and light armored vehicles. The CH-901 is capable of detecting targets at a distance of more than 1.5 km from an altitude of 450 m. The CH-901 is launched from a container and can be ready for use in less than 3 minutes.

2.2 Technical parameters of Reconnaissance-II UAV

a) Maximum takeoff weight: 9kg
b) Load capacity: ≥1.5kg
c) Diameter(when folded): ≤140mm
d) Body length: ≤1069mm (propeller included)
e) Power: Electric
f) Navigation positioning method: BDS/GPS
g) Reconnaissance seeker: Visible light + infrared ray
h) Target positioning accuracy: 30m (CEP)
i) Takeoff method: Canister launch (cool gas/rocket/pressure)
j) Recycling method: parachute recycling (reconnaissance version) /
no recycling (reconnaissance plus strike version)
k) Control radius: 10km
l) Endurance: ≥30min
m) Cruise speed: 30m/s to 40m/s
n) Maximum flight speed: ≥50m/s
o) Minimum turning radius: ≤100m
p) Typical working height: 50m~300m
q) Transmission rate: 4M/s
r) Transmission delay: 200ms

Red7272

15-Oct

Mr. T (MrT4) said:

The CH-901 kamikaze drone combines the advantages of a drone and a bomb and can hover for 40 minutes before attacking a target. It can be used by special forces during counter-terrorist operations. CH-901 is a portable assassin drone that weighs 9kg and can be easily carried by one soldier and launched from the field to hunt down and attack opponents.

So basically switchblade. Is there a version that is completely autonomous? The thing I noticed is that all these suicide drone videos I've seen have been manually targeted. The original 90s concept was for the drone to fly to a locale and then hunt for targets autonomously, but that does not appear to be part of these current drone's behaviour. 

poliorcetes

15-Oct

Switchblade is smaller and with less TRANSMISSION range than CH-901. CH-901 Transmission range could be extended with some sort of mesh network without a more powerful emitter

Red7272

15-Oct

poliorcetes said:

Switchblade is smaller and with less TRANSMISSION range than CH-901. CH-901 Transmission range could be extended with some sort of mesh network without a more powerful emitter

it's 4 times the size so of course it's more capable.