gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

UK military spending review   General Military Discussion

Started 13/3/21 by autogun; 13992 views.
RovingPedant

11-Jun

autogun said...

The story I have heard is as follows: CTAI designed their ammo feed together with the gun. The French adopted the CTAI package unchanged and it works just fine, but LM, who won the British contract for the Ajax turret, decided to design their own feed. Not good...

If you see the interior of the EBRC turret it looks like while they may have been to CTAI for the ammunition feed it's a feed system that hasn't been shown for any other installation i.e. it's a new or modified arrangement, not an existing one.

https://i0.wp.com/militaryleak.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/nexter-unveils-jaguar-ebrc-reconnaissance-vehicle-with-new-wire-cage-armor-1.jpg?ssl=1

Still, the weapon manufacturer ought to be able to integrate an ammo handling system to their weapon better than a third party.

autogun

11-Jun

Yes, you may be right that the French feed was not the original one, but it was, I believe, designed by the gun designers.

In reply toRe: msg 77
autogun

28-Oct

It has risen... https://www.overtdefense.com/2022/10/26/delays-to-uks-puma-replacement-tender-but-ajax-trials-restart/

The UK’s troubled AJAX armored fighting vehicle program has restarted after safety concerns for personnel halted the trials phase back in March. The safety issues included noise and vibration issues which left soldiers with permanent injuries. In May the In June, the Public Accounts Committee found that delays had been caused by a “litany of failures” and advised that the Ministry of Defence needed to resolve the issues or scrap the project.

In a statement to Parliament Minister of State For Defence Procurement, Alec Shelbrooke explained that the government’s concern is “the safety of our personnel, which has been at the forefront of the work that has been ongoing over the summer,” he continued “I am pleased to be able to inform the House that, following agreement from the AJAX Safety Panel, this work has led to resuming the User Validation Trials paused earlier this year and since Monday 10th October there have been eight days of trials.”