gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

patent for an MP7 in 300blackout   General Military Discussion

Started 17-Oct by smg762; 4462 views.
smg762

25-Oct

My point was that they both have the same high energy in 6inch barrels, and that 7.5 would avoid all the crazy feeding mechanisms required of the blackout.

As the pic shows, the gun has a massively long grip...7.5 would avoid this

And the 7.5 would obviously have twice the power of 4.6 or 5.7

Im aware that the black has more BC and so on.

roguetechie

26-Oct

You're using "power" in a way that doesn't fit with actual effects in reality.

Nothing you said changes this.

Additionally, there's almost certainly at least one better way to handle the follower situation.

Beyond that the only thing I have to say Is you're still entirely missing why 300 blk would be in an entirely different class than 7.5 fk.

It's not that you haven't had the reasons why explained several times either, because you have.

"Just chambering it in 7.5 fk" defeats the purpose they were going for.

smg762

26-Oct

You never specified why the BLK bullets are better.

as a PDW it wont be used beyond 150m so the extra BC of the blackout isnt too valuable. The only other advantage of 300blk is maybe more penetration.

Then again the blackout bullets might be worse because at 140grains plus they will be slow

Like i said the grip is very long...thats the drawback of the design. 

stancrist

26-Oct

It isn't that BLK bullets are better.  It's that 7.5 FK is a pistol cartridge.

The purpose of the unique magazine design is to enable use of rifle cartridges like .300 BLK, 5.56 NATO, and even 7.62 NATO, in a weapon of MP7 size and configuration.

smg762

26-Oct

556 would be pointless given the huge flash and low energy.

Admittedly 7.5fk is a little 'niche' in terms of availability but it would allow a much more holsterable gun...something resembling those 'glocks with stocks'

stancrist

26-Oct

That's all true.  And it's all quite irrelevant.

Their design purpose is not to use a cartridge that allows a more holsterable gun.

The design purpose is to allow use of rifle cartridges in a holsterable gun.

smg762

26-Oct

Speaking of 762 SBRs, ian has a new video on an MP5 in 762nato.

I think as a military PDW (the crye PDW)  its great because of the ammunition commonality. If you could solve the flash problems of 556 you would have a real winner

Still, the ultimate PDW would resemble a glock w/ stock, and with the 300blk the grip length is not ideal for vehicle comfort etc.

Again id love a scratch-built round with huge penetration....basically a CT pistol round in 4.8mm

Oh, were you the guy behind the 'crist PDW' design?

• Edited 26 October 2021 12:57  by  smg762
stancrist

26-Oct

smg762 said:

Oh, were you the guy behind the 'crist PDW' design?

Guilty as charged, your honor.  sunglasses

roguetechie

27-Oct

Oy vey, it's not a 7.62 nato mp5 the 51 are just very cut down g3's a guy called bill Fleming came up with way back in the dinosaur days where you had to buy shotgun news at Safeway and send check or money order to buy gun parts.

ETA: there's no such thing as "extra BC". You are extremely confused about how firearms and ammunition work, you should work to rectify this.

We have tried explaining these things to you multiple times, I personally am done doing that. You're just plain wrong and muzzle energy doesn't mean what you think it means nor does it work the way you think it does.

smg762

27-Oct

You never once explained why the blackout would perform better with the same energy as the FK. If you could give a reason then brilliant..

Yes the pointy bullets will hold BC and trajectory for a bit longer...other than that any differences are trivial.

Within PDW distances, 900ft lbs is 900 ft lbs...its as lethal as anything else

Like i said it would have some merit as a 556 PDW for sharing ammo 'in the field'. 

As for the MP5 ive always known it was a HK51, there were youtube vids of that gun for ages.