gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Australian NGSW   General Military Discussion

Started 5-Nov by Gr1ff1th; 3415 views.
Gr1ff1th

5-Nov

I'm just going to assume the author meant bottom-mounted, It seems like an error to me

EmericD

5-Nov

I really don't want to be the poor guy that will have to use a bullpup rifle with such a long LoP.

Are they planning to enlist only guys taller than 180 cm?

RovingPedant

5-Nov

EmericD said...

I really don't want to be the poor guy that will have to use a bullpup rifle with such a long LoP.

The LoP is adjustable, by the look of things. The pistol grip is on an accessory rail.

Gr1ff1th

5-Nov

I missed that, good catch, I wonder how that would actually function in the real version though

RovingPedant

5-Nov

Either the linkage is adjustable or it’s electric, though both raise further questions.

In either case, it would need to be a very neat system that can stand the pistol grip being removed but not be susceptible to other things being placed on the rail. Locking out the trigger with a downgrip or causing it to fire by turning the flashlight on would be embarrassing. 

stancrist

6-Nov

I know that magazine writers can make some pretty dumb mistakes, but it's difficult to imagine one mistaking top for bottom...

gatnerd

6-Nov

While that would be an odd mistake, it seems less odd then anyone seriously considering a top mounted drum in this day and age, much less for a bullpup.

stancrist

6-Nov

I guess we'll just have to wait and see if more information -- or perhaps a clarification -- is forthcoming.

tidusyuki

11-Nov

First thing i noticed was also how the grip and trigger module is attached on a rail. Looks like electronic trigger. Unless they have some way to make the trigger bar linkage adjustable. But that would mean the rail has full length hole.

RovingPedant

12-Nov

An electronic trigger makes the most sense, provided that they achieve the same reliability as a mechanical system and can address the issue of running out of batteries.

There would also still be the issue of how to get the trigger signal back to the firing mechanism. Wireless is probably out on the basis of emissions and reliability. A flying lead would be simplest but potentially vulnerable. Electrical connection through the rail would be simplest for the user but it would have to be insensitive to other things being put on the rail.