gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Australian NGSW   General Military Discussion

Started 5-Nov by Gr1ff1th; 3405 views.
RovingPedant

5-Nov

Either the linkage is adjustable or it’s electric, though both raise further questions.

In either case, it would need to be a very neat system that can stand the pistol grip being removed but not be susceptible to other things being placed on the rail. Locking out the trigger with a downgrip or causing it to fire by turning the flashlight on would be embarrassing. 

stancrist

6-Nov

I know that magazine writers can make some pretty dumb mistakes, but it's difficult to imagine one mistaking top for bottom...

gatnerd

6-Nov

While that would be an odd mistake, it seems less odd then anyone seriously considering a top mounted drum in this day and age, much less for a bullpup.

stancrist

6-Nov

I guess we'll just have to wait and see if more information -- or perhaps a clarification -- is forthcoming.

tidusyuki

11-Nov

First thing i noticed was also how the grip and trigger module is attached on a rail. Looks like electronic trigger. Unless they have some way to make the trigger bar linkage adjustable. But that would mean the rail has full length hole.

RovingPedant

12-Nov

An electronic trigger makes the most sense, provided that they achieve the same reliability as a mechanical system and can address the issue of running out of batteries.

There would also still be the issue of how to get the trigger signal back to the firing mechanism. Wireless is probably out on the basis of emissions and reliability. A flying lead would be simplest but potentially vulnerable. Electrical connection through the rail would be simplest for the user but it would have to be insensitive to other things being put on the rail.

In reply toRe: msg 13
stancrist

12-Nov

tidusyuki said:

First thing i noticed was also how the grip and trigger module is attached on a rail.

Here is a different take on that:

"3D printed prototype.  It just looks stupid because they were too cheap to model a proper attachment method for the grip, so they slapped it on a pic rail."

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/the-military-small-arms-other-weapons-discussion-thread.614068/post-80037547

Gr1ff1th

13-Nov

Possibly, but if the smart rail trigger can be made reliable, then one of the major downsides to bullpups could be solved which was previously considered unsolvable, the LoP issue, along with the trigger, which leaves only the magazine placement as a concern

In reply toRe: msg 16
gatnerd

13-Nov

I wouldn't read too much into the design beyond the fact thats its a bullpup.

It's a 3D printed mockup lacking mag release, safety selector, charging handle - and even a barrel. 

That said, I said a few years ago (pre NGSW) that I expected to see bullpups become more popular in the future when smart optics and battery packs were developed, as the nature of a bullpup stock makes it easier to run internal wires / set up an electro mechanical trigger. 

The P90, for example, was designed to have an internal battery and laser sight built into the gun, while keeping everything completely hidden.

https://www.remtek.com/arms/fn/p90/laser/index.htm

In addition to being able to basically design the weapon around hiding wires and battery packs, the bullpup also allows a lot more space for installing an electro/electro mechanical trigger, as the real 'trigger' is in the stock, which offers a lot more design space then trying to stick the trigger in the pistol grip/receiver. 

So in general I think the bullpup offers a more easy to integrate architexture for a smart / electro rifle setup. Especially on a design like the AUG or F2000, where much of the rifle is polymer and easy to modify with a 'stock change'; modifying an aluminum bullpup like the RM277 would be much more difficult. 

stancrist

13-Nov

gatnerd said:

I wouldn't read too much into the design beyond the fact thats its a bullpup.

It's a 3D printed mockup lacking mag release, safety selector, charging handle - and even a barrel. 

How can you tell the mockup has no barrel?