gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Future of Firearms...    General Military Discussion

Started 22-Nov by manimal87; 2599 views.
JPeelen

23-Nov

The M240 is really the Belgian FN MAG, originally introduced 1958. So you think its designer, the late Ernest Vervier, was among "some of the laziest, most complacent designers on the planet".  This line of thinking does nothing to improve the situation.   

Gr1ff1th

23-Nov

Ernest didn't have access to Finite Element Analysis (FEA) software or high strength polymers in 1958 did he?, I'm not knocking the skill of the original designer, I'm knocking on the fact that since then engineering and materials science have come a long way, and FN until now has been fine just half assing things, like the M240L, where they just replaced parts with expensive titanium instead of actually making something good.

Gr1ff1th

23-Nov

The Sig 6.8 LMG has a quick change barrel and only weighs 13.5 pounds, and I'm sure they can manufacture a heavy barrel if needed without too much of weight increase, there is clear room for improvement when we step away from 60 year old designs made on drawings and examples of post war MG42/MG32's which date back to the great depression. 

Msg 7958.14 deleted
In reply toRe: msg 13
manimal87

23-Nov

Has anyone insight on the below question? 

"Or is it possible we se a resurrection of SMGs in future? Maybe with new pistol ammo (extented range + penetration) so HK 4.6 and FN 5.7 ammo is a pistol Caliber RIGHT? So they would be SMGs. They at least got NATO Standart as well some time ago.  If some of these maybe get successors and with possibility future warfare would be more urban.... A more compact weapon system with a high ROF would be preferable for CQC and max 150m or 200m.

Or is the pistol ammo (if 4.6 and 5.7 counts as pistol caliber?) dead end for military use in future in an SMG system? "

• Edited 23 November 2021 12:49  by  manimal87
EmericD

23-Nov

manimal87 said:

so HK 4.6 and FN 5.7 ammo is a pistol Caliber RIGHT?

I don't think that the 4.6 x 30 mm could be considered a "pistol" caliber, as no pistols are offered with this cartridge.

manimal87 said:

Or is it possible we se a resurrection of SMGs in future?

Difficult to say, but I would say "no". The US and UK, for example, didn't really see the need for a SMG before WWII, and it didn't took long for selective-fire rifles to replace SMGs, except for some usage (Stan maybe used a M3 during the '70s?)

The Soviet army used SMGs in very huge numbers during WWII, and those quickly disappeared once the AK arrived.

I mean, what is the point of a SMG when you could issue a SBR in .300 AAC?

stancrist

23-Nov

EmericD said:

Stan maybe used a M3 during the '70s?

Yes, he did.  sunglasses

stancrist

23-Nov

Guardsman26 said:

The start point for any future squad level light machine gun has to be the FN MAG 58 (or H&K MG5).

Nah.  https://youtu.be/c7RRSICANEw?t=17

RovingPedant

23-Nov

Gr1ff1th said...

Getting "shirty with the status quo" is how things improve,

I was thinking that improvements are generally made by understanding the status quo and its limitations, then understanding what you can do to improve it.

Lashing out at people seems counterproductive.

If FN have been complacent then that is, perhaps, an indication that their guns are really good. 

roguetechie

23-Nov

We know the industry can do better because it HAS lol.

Also, considering that the 240L AND MK48 are still failing to meet their absolutely pathetic designed life requirements despite God knows how much money and constant open tabs with big daddy green to fix what they already sold them...

Yeah, there's room for criticism.