gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Future of Firearms...    General Military Discussion

Started 22-Nov by manimal87; 2778 views.
roguetechie

24-Nov

The one thing I'd caution you on is accepting FN provided weights for it's own guns...

They have a track record of not being anything resembling honest about gun weights going back a long time.

Additionally, depending on how much of which types of 3d metal printing the evolys needs the physical number of evolys FN could reasonably build in a year could be very constrained. 

We've seen exactly that issue with Delta P and managing to print enough cans for the ngsw competition let alone if a Delta P can WON.

roguetechie

24-Nov

Extremely clever geometry combined with a spring powered lifter in the magazine follower. This technology has sorta proven itself in the longziz 2 universal AR mags which did work.

I think there could be an easier and better way to do it though. It will be at least a year before I can possibly be in a position to test the 3 ideas I have on even just a proof of principle nonfiring test object, but it's on the list of things to mess with.

I'm not so much endorsing the Caleb Crye design itself as I am endorsing the idea that maybe we can do something unconventional that wasn't necessarily possible/realistically manufacturable in any quantity until recently. I think that sort of thinking itself has potential to give us things that were impossible previously.

Farmplinker

24-Nov

They're building new 3D printers everyday, Rogue. Heck, fiddle with the TDP, and the company I work for could 3D print casting cores and molds if you wanted to investment cast components!

roguetechie

24-Nov

Oh sure, but it really depends on internal geometry stuff we don't know about the evolys.

And as I've laid out in my case, I think it's unwise to give FN the benefit of the doubt all things considered.

I think to a degree we need to figure out what exactly we need before we can start closing in on an ideal solution too.

I have some personal thoughts on what we actually need, but other people will inevitably think differently.