gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Ukraine weapons thread   General Military Discussion

Started 24/2/22 by gatnerd; 186563 views.
schnuersi

27/4/22

gatnerd said:

That will be exciting to see how it works then, given how long it has been in service.

Indeed. Allthough the FCS and its programming have been updated several times over the years.
Against helicopters and the occational low flying aitcraft it should work fine. It will propably fail against drones.

The russian pilots also have no real experience against this system. Its seems they are not truely acustomed to operate in a contested airspace against serious AD.

We will have to wait and see.

schnuersi

27/4/22

gatnerd said:

That thing is adorably badass:

Yes and they are currently in a refurbishment program. All will be upgraded and rebuild. TOW is being pgased out and the Wisels will be armed with MELLS/Spike.

A scucessor is also in developement. We will see to what this leads. The current prototype is... well... lets say: "special". Armament is also a problem.

taschoene

27/4/22

stancrist said:

Nevertheless, it has always seemed rather silly to me for a remotely-fired rocket like PARM 2 to be called a "mine".

Ah.  Hard to read humor sometimes online.

To me, it makes sense to call this a mine in the same way that we call the Claymore a mine, or the POMZ a "stake mine."  Seems like it's more or less a term for any explosive device that is emplaced to be triggered by sensors or remotely.  

Farmplinker

27/4/22

I thought it was kinda stupid for the Army to have an unarmored pickup truck competition instead of just buying more Polaris UTVs.

graylion

27/4/22

schnuersi said:

gatnerd said: That will be exciting to see how it works then, given how long it has been in service. Indeed. Allthough the FCS and its programming have been updated several times over the years. Against helicopters and the occational low flying aitcraft it should work fine. It will propably fail against drones. The russian pilots also have no real experience against this system. Its seems they are not truely acustomed to operate in a contested airspace against serious AD. We will have to wait and see.

What I really want to see is an upgrade for them to use AHEAD, which I don't think they can do ATM. But that would take too long ...

gatnerd

27/4/22

graylion said:

But that would take too long .

Its a shame these FCUs cant be updated on the fly like a computer or smartphone; download the AHEAD app and start drone busting. 

That rapid update capability is how STARLINK was able to bypass russian jamming within a day:

https://www.iflscience.com/technology/pentagon-impressed-by-starinks-eyewateringly-swift-shut-down-of-russian-cyberattack/

17thfabn

27/4/22

The ATV don't have the load carrying capacity of a pickup. 

Lots of choices in the U.S pickup market. It is usually a requirement to have a competition. Back in the late 70s early 80s Chrysler got a big pick up truck contract from the U.S Army.

Could we see a US built Toyota Helix? Third world insurgents will be so confused.

stancrist

27/4/22

taschoene said:

To me, it makes sense to call this a mine in the same way that we call the Claymore a mine, or the POMZ a "stake mine."

There is a HUGE difference between a true mine like the Claymore vs a rocket launcher being used in a similar manner.

With a properly designed launcher, a rocket can be fired in a handheld weapon or employed in the off-route mine role.

For example, the shoulder-fired M20 "Super Bazooka" and M24 "off-route mine" both used the same 3.5" HEAT rocket.

M24 Off-Route Land Mine

The M24 mine was a United States off-route land mine based around the M28A2 HEAT rocket normally fired by the M20 3.5 inch rocket launcher. The rocket was la...

Try using a real land mine like the Claymore as a handheld weapon...

How the M18 Claymore mine REALY works -Explained in a simple manner-

Here is a quick video on how the M18 claymore mine really works, explained simply. Enjoy.

taschoene said:

Seems like it's more or less a term for any explosive device that is emplaced to be triggered by sensors or remotely.

Yes.  IMO, it's an incorrect use of the term, because mines are explosive devices which detonate at or (in the case of bounding mines) very near the spot where they are planted, whereas weapons like the PARM are rocket launchers that fire a missile with explosive warhead at a target some distance from where the weapon is emplaced.

It's like the erroneous use of the term "proxy war" to describe a conflict that actually is not waged by proxies fighting for other parties, but by principals fighting for themselves.  People will go on using both terms, no matter how illogical.

gatnerd

27/4/22

17thfabn said:

Could we see a US built Toyota Helix? Third world insurgents will be so confused

Sort of?

SF is currently using US armored Hillux's:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/a19694154/how-us-special-forces-get-their-armored-pickups/

And is working on a sort of modular vehicle chassis that can be disguised as different models of pickup truck :

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/19062/us-special-operators-want-a-super-technical-that-transforms-into-different-civilian-trucks

Now SOCOM is proposing a novel solution that sounds like something out of action movie or G.I. Joe play set. The new PB-NSCV will have a standard chassis and drive train with a 10 to 15 year life cycle, greatly streamlining routine maintenance and more intensive overhauls and the logistics chain. The vehicle’s body, however, will be able to accept “interchangeable skins” to make it look like a Ranger or a Land Cruiser as necessary.

gatnerd

27/4/22

stancrist said:

For example, the shoulder-fired M20 "Super Bazooka" and M24 "off-route mine" both used the same 3.5" HEAT rocket.

Along a similar vein, I'm surprised we havent seen kits developed to allow M72 LAWs to be fired remotely as off route mines.

Like a little tripod and firing mechanism the LAW could be clipped into.