gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Ukraine weapons thread   General Military Discussion

Started 24-Feb by gatnerd; 137880 views.
graylion

1-May

the latter I think. They have no functioning corps of noncoms.

gatnerd

1-May

I agree, the latter is the most likely, plus the general rush to war - whose nature had been kept secret from the troops and most leaders until just before attack. 

gatnerd

1-May

Spectacular quadcopter kill of a tank; ironically the much maligned 'cope cage' probably would have prevented this.

https://twitter.com/TpyxaNews/status/1520800661591494656

stancrist

1-May

If this list is complete, it looks like the Russians use HE rounds with inert fuzes for target practice, instead of having inert TP ammunition in the inventory.

If that is indeed the case, then such a mistake is perhaps understandable considering the stress and chaos of the "general rush to war" noted by gatnerd.

Mr. T (MrT4)

2-May

Looks like one of the Raptor boat or boats hit twice by a Bayraktar

https://t.me/boris_rozhin/46440

renatohm

2-May

Additionally, Russian forces sufffered quite a few casualties already - probably the most experienced ones - so the folks running the show now are rookies.

That would be a problem already in peace, in war it's a liability.

British intelligence assesses that Russia has committed some 65% of their forces to the war (directly or indirectly), and that of those forces, Russia had some 25% losses - if both figures are correct, the losses amount to >15% in some 65 days.

These levels are unsustainable.

That said, we don't have the Ukrainian figures, but it's hard to believe that their losses have been low, so it's very likely we'll see a stalemate soon.

Mr. T (MrT4)

2-May

We do not have any numbers aside from what is produced for propaganda purposes

Casualty numbers are fog of war right now , but aside from the initial total boondoggle when they marched right in and i guess expected to hold a parade in Kyiv, the casualties have likely been far worse on the Ukrainian side , artillery and airpower advantages are just to great. What you are seeing is an intense propaganda war that is not waged just by Ukraine and Russia but by most of the western media.

British or any other intelligence assessment published must always be taken with a bucket load of salt particularly Brits that form the core of propaganda force in this war.

17thfabn

2-May

What is sustainable is in the view of Putin / Russia.

I am always amazed at the casualty figures of the USSR and Germany in World War II. And yet they kept on fighting. At least Germany did until 1945.

Russia / Putin have to decide how much they are willing to sacrifice for the Ukrainianan adventure.

Putin is probably willing to sacrfice more Russian lives, blood and treasure than we think is logical.

He may strip forces from other areas that military analyst say is unwise to deploy to Ukraine Drafties that were said to be exempt from service in Ukraine may be "volenteered" to go. He could go old school and strip Naval and Air units of personnel. They would be useful as support logistical personnel. 

To our eyes Putin's moves may seem illogical. It doesn't matter what our view is. The question is how much is Putin willing to sacrifice?

gatnerd

2-May

Mr. T (MrT4) said:

casualties have likely been far worse on the Ukrainian side , artillery and airpower advantages are just to great

I'm sure UA's military loses have been much higher then reported.

However, I could absolutely see RU's being higher/UAs being lower.

The reason being that UA has the 'luxury' of a dispersed defense, often employing hit and run tactics, where RU's forces are frequently concentrated. The RU forces are also vehicle bound, increasing casualties when struck.

IE in the most basic level, ATGM vs Tank. ATGM guy kills a T72 tank, 3 men are killed. A T72 kills a ATGM gunner, 1 man is killed. 

The long convoys of support vehicles that have been attacked show similar factors. Small band of a dozen UA Comandos attack a convoy with RPGs and ATGMs, possibly backed by drone spotted artillery. A dozen plus vehicles are destroyed with many more men killed, while only a dozen UA men were put at risk. 

The new fighting for Donbass though is likely to result in much higher casualties for the UA side, as now its a 'battle front' trying to either hold or seize territory with concnetrated forces on both sides, as opposed to the previous hit and run.

stancrist

2-May

17thfabn said:

To our eyes Putin's moves may seem illogical. It doesn't matter what our view is. The question is how much is Putin willing to sacrifice?

There is also the question of how much death and destruction is Ukraine willing to accept?

As for how much logic there is in Putin's actions, the first five minutes of this is interesting.

Retired general makes prediction about Putin's plan in Ukraine

Retired Maj. General James "Spider" Marks outlines Russian President Vladimir Putin's plan to partition Ukraine and predicts that Ukrainian forces will not b...