gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

history of suppressed firearms   Small Arms <20mm

Started 29-Apr by mpopenker; 455 views.
EmericD

29-Apr

Hi Max,

For France, the first reference about a suppressor is from the work of Colonel Gustave Humbert, around 1900, and his patent n°323574 delivered the 18th june 1902.

The Maxim suppressor seems very similar to the Humbert suppressor, the only change being that the obstacles are forming a spiral.

Colonel Humbert patented a second (and simpler) suppressor in 1915 (n°475519), which looks like a "pepper pot" muzzle brake with a can around the muzzle brake, and metal wool or non-combustible rags filling the space between the muzzle brake and the external tube.

mpopenker

29-Apr

Hi Emeric,

that's a start, thank you.

was there any specific work on suppressors and their use in the Interbellum and during the Cold War?

I know French designers tried a captive-piston internally suppressed design shortly after the WW2 in a modified MAS-36 rifle, but apparently this went to nowhere.

EmericD

29-Apr

mpopenker said:

was there any specific work on suppressors and their use in the Interbellum and during the Cold War?

Nothing I'm familiar with, but I will check!

mpopenker

29-Apr

that will be much appreciated, thanks