gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Rheinmetall Panther 2 KF51 Tank with 130mm   Army Guns 20+mm

Started 14-Jun by gatnerd; 5248 views.
stancrist

14-Jun

gatnerd said:

Rheinmetall just debuted the Panther KF51...

With a .50 Browning coax.  Truly amazing that a WWI machine gun is still used in a 21st century tank.

New KF-51 Panther, A Radically New MBT with 130mm cannon and loitering ammunition - YouTube

gatnerd

14-Jun

stancrist said:

ruly amazing that a WWI machine gun is still used in a 21st century tank

In reply toRe: msg 7
gatnerd

14-Jun

In related news, another Magnum Tank concept was debuted, this with a 140mm cannon:

https://bulgarianmilitary.com/2022/06/14/european-knds-tank-may-get-140mm-ascalon-gun-with-13mj-pressure/

-Nexter 140mm ASCALON cannon 

-The Inevitable M2 .50 as COAX to 140mm

-Nexter ARX30 30x113mm autocannon (Airburst?) on a RWS

-7.62 MG coax with commanders sight

In reply toRe: msg 8
gatnerd

14-Jun

More info on the KF51 and the related Procurement Politics as pertains to the MGCS:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/new-kf51-panther-tank-packs-big-130mm-gun-aimed-at-aging-leopard-2

graylion

15-Jun

I seriously doubt that Rheinmetall is using Browning M2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rheinmetall_RMG.50

stancrist

15-Jun

Perhaps you're right.  I was going by this illustration at 7:05 in the video I linked.  The coax pictured looks very much like a Browning M2HB.

DavidPawley

15-Jun

As discussed yesterday in the tracks vs wheels thread - the rheinmetall cutaway shows an M2, not RMG.

schnuersi

15-Jun

gatnerd said:

More info on the KF51 and the related Procurement Politics as pertains to the MGCS:

You should take this "info" with more than just a grain of salt because there are several claims and statements that are compleltly wrong.

For starters the Leopard 2 A7V does not weight more than 70 t. Not even close. Its combat weight is 64 t. The weight of the Panther also isn't unknown. Its 59 t according to Rh. The Panther isn't a new MBT. Its an evolved Leopard 2. The turret is new. etc

schnuersi

15-Jun

stancrist said:

I was going by this illustration at 7:05 in the video I linked.

This video is also a highly questionable source.

stancrist said:

The coax pictured looks very much like a Browning M2HB.

I think you are all missing the important info here: OPTIONAL
Its all optional. The Panther is a technology demonstrator and not a specific design. They will fit whatever the customer wants. This is also why the hull is Leo2. The potential customers are all Leo2 users who can modernise their fleet by plucking a new turret and modifying the hull. Sure they would build new hulls if someone wants. Its all about what the customer actually wants and orders.

schnuersi

15-Jun

gatnerd said:

In related news, another Magnum Tank concept was debuted, this with a 140mm cannon:

And here it is. A Leopad 2 hull with a modified Leclerc turrert. Again nothing really new.