Sites of Interest -  METEOR CRATER (6 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Wee Shorty McNaughty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostAug-9 2:24 PM 
To: All  (1 of 1) 

METEOR CRATER IS ONE BIG ROADSIDE ATTRACTION

NEAR WINSLOW – Just a short drive off I-40 between Flagstaff and Winslow, remnants of a 50,000-year-old collision are visible. “Visible,” I suppose, is an understatement. A massive crater – nearly one mile across and 2.4 miles in circumference – was created here when an asteroid traveling some 26,000 miles-per-hour smashed into the Earth.

Meteor Crater is reportedly the best-preserved meteorite impact site on the planet, so it’s certainly worth the 6-mile ride from the highway (even if the $16 adult admission seems excessive to view a giant hole in the ground). It’s also referred to as Barringer Crater, named after Daniel Barringer, a mining engineer who is credited as the first person to assert the hole was produced by a meteor

http://arizonaoddities.com/2013/08/meteor-crater-is-one-big-roadside-attraction/

photo shortypotty3.gif

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.