Introduce Yourself! -  New here (83 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 4) 

Hi. I'm glad to find this forum. I've been beading for quite a long time, but have gotten into a rut using the same things over and over again.

What is a good mm wire to use for semi precious stones used for a necklace? I have .18 and .30 but I think they are too thin. A friend gave me a lot of her heavy stones and I don't want to give away necklaces and have them fall apart. 

Thank you for your answers. 

Peace is seeing a sunrise or sunset, and knowing Whom to thank. 

Reply   Options 

From: ~BeadyBellyrina~ (KabbalistIFA) DelphiPlus Member Icon8/1/16 10:11 AM 
To: Denflo  (2 of 4) 
 10273.2 in reply to 10273.1 

I'm afraid most of us have left Delphi and gone over to Facebook. This use to be a thriving forum, but once FB happened that's where everyone went. I only peeked on here because Delphi sent me an email when you posted to me here.

Are you doing wire sculpting? Or is this just stringing them? It's been many many years since I wire sculpted, but if I recall I use to use a lot of 20-22g square wire. Wire sculpting has really changed since the 90s and I am not into it anymore.. Here are a couple of old pics below of wire sculpting I did back in the 90s. Is this what you are trying to do?  If it's more (what I call) organic style I never was able to get into that... I liked the old Preston style -but then I discovered bead embroidery and don't even touch my wire anymore - well, except to make clasps and jump rings when needed.

There use to be a wire forum here on Delphi. I'm not sure if they are still active, but they could possibly help you.... I see it's still in the drop down above (click on "other beady places"). It's called "Creative Wire Jewelry".

To: ~BeadyBellyrina~ (KabbalistIFA) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 4) 
 10273.3 in reply to 10273.2 

Absolutely stunning. No, I don't do wire sculpting. I just string beads on wire. OK, so I should switch to FaceBook? What is it under?

Thanks for the heads up.

From: ~BeadyBellyrina~ (KabbalistIFA) DelphiPlus Member Icon8/4/16 9:55 AM 
To: Denflo  (4 of 4) 
 10273.4 in reply to 10273.3 

There are all sorts of beading groups on Facebook. I don't belong to any that are stringing bead groups, but if you put that in FB's search  some should pop up. I belong to 5 beading groups on FB- each specific to certain styles. None of them are stringing beads though, but I'm sure there has to be some groups like that out there or even just beading in general.
The ones I go to are:

Battle of the Beadsmith (it's a yearly contest)
Freeform Peyote Beading (it only allows discussions on freeform peyote style of beading)
The Loomie Bin (all about beading on a loom)
Goth, Fantasy, Pagan & Steampunk (which does allow all kinds of beading as long as it follows the theme mentioned in the title)
Bead Embroidery Forever (it only allows pictures and topics pertaining to bead embroidery - this one is my personal favorite to go to)

Like I said, there are all sorts of bead groups on Facebook- I'm sure you can find one that is your style of beading. It's unfortunate that Delphi has become such a ghost town. I miss it here....

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.