Buffalo Soulders -  1908-2007 William Waddell, Buffalo Soldi (53 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon2/12/07 8:13 PM 
To: All  (1 of 8) 

Posted on: Sunday, February 4, 2007

1908-2007 William Waddell, Buffalo Soldier

By Will Hoover
Advertiser Staff Writer

William Henry Waddell — one of only two surviving Buffalo Soldiers — died at age 98 Tuesday evening at his home in Ka'a'awa.

Waddell, who retired in Hawai'i in 1972 with his wife Lottie, served with the 9th and 10th Cavalry in World War II.

The term "Buffalo Soldier" is one of pride that harks back to the period immediately following the Civil War when depleted Union troops were, by act of Congress, strengthened for the first time to include six regiments of black soldiers.

The term became synonymous with all black regiments that served during subsequent conflicts including the Spanish American War, World War I, World War II and the Korean War, after which the unit was discontinued.

But Waddell had been a trailblazer before entering the war. In 1935, he made history by becoming the first black to be granted a license to practice veterinary medicine in Pennsylvania after he passed the State Board of Veterinary Medicine.

Waddell, who was born in South Richmond, Va., in 1908, also was the first black to practice veterinary medicine in West Virginia and the first black member of the American Veterinary Medicine Association. He was further honored in 2003 as a co-founder of the historic Tuskegee Institute School of Veterinary Medicine.

"I think he was a great humanitarian," said his daughter Kathryn Waddell Takara, a professor at the University of Hawai'i at Manoa. "He had a kind heart.

"He was a terribly hard worker who came up from nothing. He's my hero."

In 2004 ,Waddell was awarded a doctor of science honorary degree from the Lincoln University in Pennsylvania.

Through it all, Waddell remained a man of warmth and humor. His autobiography, "People are the Funniest Animals," was published in 1978. He also authored several other books.

"He was a grand, grand man," said retired UH professor Miles Jackson, a neighbor of Waddell's. "We all looked upon him as a sage. He had always had positive words of wisdom to share with people.

"He had a fantastic memory. We really enjoyed his company."

To those who knew him, he was an inspiration who will be greatly missed.

"The sad state of affairs is that we began February, Black History Month, with the loss of a national treasure," said Alphonso Braggs, president of Hawai'i NAACP.

"He's the reason that many of us are able to pursue our goals, our dreams and our aspirations. And right up to the end, he was still being that inspirational leader and mentor that he is very well known for.

"The irony is that at this time last year, Dr. Waddell was going around the Island bases with us celebrating Black History Month. So there's going to be that absence this year."

Yet, Braggs and Jackson both praised Waddell for giving those who follow in his footsteps the courage and motivation to continue to carry the message of inspiration and hope forward.

"We can only hope that we are able to live long enough to leave a legacy as great as what he's left us," Braggs said.

At a time when many young people are having trouble understanding the civil rights struggles of the '50s and '60s, he said Waddell's legacy stands as a beacon of light.

Already that legacy has grown. On Jan. 13 — less than a month before his death — the Honolulu Hawai'i branch of the NAACP awarded its first scholarship in Waddell's name, Braggs said.

"We really want to perpetuate what he has done. And that's one way to remind folks," Braggs said.

His wife preceded him in death. Aside from his daughter, survivors include two grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.

A memorial service will be held Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Borthwick Mortuary. Burial will be Feb. 12 at 2 p.m. at the National Cemetery of the Pacific.

Reach Will Hoover at whoover@honoluluadvertiser.com.

Source:

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007702040354

Jeanne

Reply   Options 

To: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 8) 
 738.2 in reply to 738.1 

Y'know,   I wouldn't even have guessed any of those fellas were among us,   and gosh would I like to kick it with one of them who is!

So very on point/on time contribution!

Take care...

Later...

CTJ

From: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon2/13/07 1:26 PM 
To: ctj527  (3 of 8) 
 738.3 in reply to 738.2 

I was surprised, too; I didn't know we had any left. I had thought that the last Buffalo Soldiers were in WWI as that was the last war when we had horse-mounted cavalry. But according to Mr. Waddell's obituary, there were Black Cavalry units called Buffalo Soldiers through the Korean War.

Learn something new every day!

Jeanne

Jeanne

To: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 8) 
 738.4 in reply to 738.3 

Interesting and intriguing that the  Bufallo soldiers egacy got carried on far into the modern era...

Do tell me and us here more about that as well...

Thanks in advance!

Take care...

Later...

CTJ

From: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon2/13/07 4:40 PM 
To: ctj527  (5 of 8) 
 738.5 in reply to 738.4 

Wish I could tell you more about the Buffalo Soldiers, but I don't know anything more.

Jeanne

To: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 8) 
 738.6 in reply to 738.1 
  • William Henry Waddell — one of only two surviving Buffalo Soldiers — died at age 98 Tuesday evening at his home in Ka'a'awa.

This guy was allegedly born in 1908 in Virginia and probabaly never had any contact with indigneous Native Americans who lived freely in their own country before the western europeans.  That for some unknown reason the US Military now claims that all 'colored' troopers (in regiments) were called 'buffalo soliders' until after the Korean war doesn't mean that any indigneous Native American ever referred to Waddell or any of these 'colored' troopers as 'buffalo soldiers.'  I can't recall any real indigenous Native Americans corroborating this account of what nonwhite soldiers were called by their ancestors. Nor can I remember any of our own indigenous Native Black Indian Americans soldiers (including family members) ever referring to themselves as  'buffalo soliders'  or ever said that they were called 'buffalo soldiers' as this story now goes.  The first time I heard this 'buffalo solider' story was during the late 60's and early 70's when immigrant Negroes of black western european ancestry were trying to brainwash our indigenous Native Black Indian Native Americans race into falsely believing that we were allegedly descedants of immigrant 'african slaves' and that we should go back to 'africa' .... when facts are that there were never any slaves imported from Africa into the USA.

The fact that Waddell was allowed to freely practice "veterinary medicine in West Virginia and the first black member of the American Veterinary Medicine Association" in the USA ... is the best argument that he mostly likely of immigrant Negro black western european ancestry (usually after a cosmetic make-over)  and not of any indigneous Native American Shemite or Kus_ite ancestry at all.  Our indigenous Native Black Indian Native Americans had to go overseas to become famous and to train during the times this guy was allowed to freely practice veterinary medicine in redneck territory of West Virginia... Like with that famous dancer Josephine Baker and Bessie Smith, the lady pilot. Check out Waddell's photos ... he resembles no indigneous Native Americans at all:

Dr. William H. Waddell, the 95-year-old veterinarian who rode with the 9th and 10th calvaries, is the last living Buffalo Soldier
Dr. William H. Waddell, the 95-year-old veterinarian who rode with the 9th and 10th calvaries, is the last living Buffalo Soldier
Dr. William H. Waddell, original faculty member of the Tuskegee University School of Veterinary Medicine (1945-1948)

Dr. William H. Waddell, original faculty member of the Tuskegee University School of Veterinary Medicine (1945-1948)

http://www.tuskegee.edu/Global/story.asp?S=1520866 <

• On Jan. 13 — less than a month before his death — the Honolulu Hawai'i branch of the NAACP awarded its first scholarship in Waddell's name, Braggs said.

This is statement appears to strenghten the point that Waddell wasn't of indigneous Native American ancestry.  As we all know, the NAACP is an organization created by whites and immigrant Negroes which goal it appears to be is to stop ALL indigegnous Native Americans from regaining our ancestral homeland and freely governing our own peoples by pushing their anti-Native American immigrant agenda of 'desegregation/integration' ... which has been used by whites as political justification to take away our rights to education our own children and to live as a people free of foreign subjugation in our own ancetral homelands in the USA. Even some 45 years after the USA voted in modern times with the UN General Assembly to end illegal western colonial white rule (foreign subjugation) and allow all indigenous Native Americans to freely govern their own peoples.    I can't recall any indigenous Native American of Shemite or Kus_ite ancestry who have ever been honored by the NAACP

To: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 8) 
 738.7 in reply to 738.3 
  • I didn't know we had any left. I had thought that the last Buffalo Soldiers were in WWI as that was the last war when we had horse-mounted cavalry.

I have my doubts about this story ... Waddell's story sounds like this other Negro (James Cameron) who claimed to be the only living surviving black male who was allegedly lynched by a white mob of racists... as an excuse to start a profane shrine to all the lychings of our people by white racist  in the USA ... which he called a  "America's Black Holocaust Museum."

"February 23

James Cameron

*James Cameron was born on this date in 1914. He was an African-American brewing worker, activist and founder of America's Black Holocaust Museum.  ..." ....

The African American Registry®

http://www.aaregistry.com/african_american_history/2952/James_Cameron_Holocaust_Museum_founder__

[Note:  Check out the eyelids and notice how they look a lot like that of Waddell's ... It seems that cometically lowering the eyelids hides the large round eyes which were once the unmistakable physical characteristic of many immigrant Negroes blacks of western european ancestry, who now call themeselves by the NATIONALITY of 'african'.]

• Edited 2/13/2007 8:56 pm ET by Rosetta321

From: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon2/13/07 10:19 PM 
To: ROSETTA321  (8 of 8) 
 738.8 in reply to 738.6 

I don't think anyone stated that Mr. Waddell had contact with Native Americans as a Buffalo Soldier.

His age would make him a World War II veteran.  During World War II, the military was still segregated and therefore, Blacks would not have been in the same units as white people.  They still called the Black cavalry "Buffalo Soldiers" although by that time, they did not have contact with Native Americans.  It was after the Civil War in the American West that they would have had contact with Native Americans.

How're you doing, Rosetta?  Haven't heard from you in a while.

Jeanne

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.