BOOK REVIEWS -  BREAKING DEAD (SOPHIE KENT, BK 1) by CORRIE JACKSON (381 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon3/28/16 2:07 PM 
To: All  (1 of 1) 

BREAKING DEAD (SOPHIE KENT, BK 1) by CORRIE JACKSON

Sophie Kent is a journalist in the middle of a crisis. Her beloved brother committed suicide and she's still trying to have some kind of closure.  She's having an affair with a married man .. her boss, no less. And she's smart enough to know this is not doing her job any good.  She doesn't sleep, even when she's drinking to excess.

When the tortured body of a model is found the night before London Fashion Week begins, Sophie recognizes her as someone she interviewed shortly before her death. Now she's feeling guilty and swears she's going to find who did this.

What she finds in her investigation is the gritty, sordid world of modeling. The industry is drowning in drugs, both legal and illegal, prostitution, blackmail, lies and secrets. When a second model, and then a third, are viciously slaughtered, Sophie pushes her personal issues away and finds herself in more danger than she thought possible.

Sophie, as a character, is multi-layered. Coming from a rich family who don't understand her need to be out on the streets, they are always butting heads.  Her father is emotionally distant, more so after the death of his son.  Sophie carries her anger ..and her feeling of guilt ... as a cloak.  

Her boss has bent over backwards trying to keep Sophie from crossing that invisible line that journalists must be aware of.  Sophie does it her way .. which jeopardizes the very thing that keeps her somewhat grounded.

The lead investigator and Sophie are working sort of in tandem .... they have shared information and of course, Sophie can go places and do things that law enforcement cannot.  They don't come to blows, but there are choice words thrown at each other when things really get out of hand.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of Sophie Kent ... I'd like to follow her trail to see how she fares.  

My thanks to the author / Bonnier Publishing / NetGalley who provided a digital copy in exchange for an honest, unbiased review.

Reply   Options 

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.