Polls & Quizzes -  Do You Have A Keeper Shelf? (181 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostAug-8 9:32 AM 
To: All Poll  (1 of 13) 
Do You Have A Keeper Shelf?
Yes
No
What's A Keeper Shelf?

12 people have voted so far

Reply   Options 

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostAug-8 9:33 AM 
To: All Poll  (2 of 13) 
 2881.2 in reply to 2881.1 

Most of the books I read, I share with others....  the seniors' library, a thrift store, etc.  But there are some books I just cannot get rid of.  These are my comfort books.

When I'm not quite ready to start a new book, I turn to one of my comfort books. It's like spending time with an old friend.

From: djklaugh (djklaugh56) DelphiPlus Member IconAug-8 12:05 PM 
To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Poll  (3 of 13) 
 2881.3 in reply to 2881.1 

Sigh If I could keep all the books I want to keep, I'd need another large room added to my house. As it is I have 3 tall book cases partially filled with keepers - all of which I have read several times and will read again in the future.  I do "recycle" those books I can bear to part with. 

From: DonnaMira-VA (DONNAMIRA) DelphiPlus Member IconAug-8 12:58 PM 
To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Poll  (4 of 13) 
 2881.4 in reply to 2881.2 

No, I just keep everything!  That's probably why I have 9 freestanding bookcases, and 4 built-ins. :) 

hobbit

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostAug-8 7:17 PM 
To: djklaugh (djklaugh56) DelphiPlus Member Icon Poll  (5 of 13) 
 2881.5 in reply to 2881.3 

You should see all the bookcases in my house!  LOL!  Only 3 shelves hold my keeper books.  Then another shelf for signed books.  All the other shelves in all the other bookcases are books I haven't read yet.

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostAug-8 7:19 PM 
To: DonnaMira-VA (DONNAMIRA) DelphiPlus Member Icon Poll  (6 of 13) 
 2881.6 in reply to 2881.4 

I hear ya!  I had one bedroom that was wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling bookcases.  When my son and grand-daughter moved in with me, I had to find homes for all those bookshelves.  My son brought all his shelves with him (he's as bad as I am)  and my grand-daughter only wanted one.  SO now I have shelves all over the place.  :-)

To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Poll  (7 of 13) 
 2881.7 in reply to 2881.1 

I do have specific books I keep but they are all over based on category or something.  We've done a lot of minimalising over the last year or so, but some books will stay with us for sentimental value, like my childhood books, or ones that are special to my son, and some stay because they are still useful for now, like various books for use for homeschooling, but I know they will be on their way out when their use is over.

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostAug-12 8:07 AM 
To: pyper8 Poll  (8 of 13) 
 2881.8 in reply to 2881.7 

I find it so hard to get rid of books that have meant a lot to me.  Most of what I read is for reviews and I usually don't keep those books.  I have some classics .. like Jane Eyre ... that I probably will never get rid of.

From: HWPeeler (HPeeler) DelphiPlus Member IconAug-14 4:23 AM 
To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Poll  (9 of 13) 
 2881.9 in reply to 2881.1 

Most of my books are reference material, not many story books. Reference books not referenced in the last few years get moved to storage. There is a His Shelf and a Her shelf. Mostly sewing and quilting magazines and reference books on hers also. A few favorite stories.

Most reading these days is on computer, few printed books. Audio books are in our future as our eyesight fails.

Most of the books in the community library are "chewing gum novels". What I donate seldom gets read.

• Edited August 14, 2017 4:26 am  by  HWPeeler (HPeeler)

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostAug-14 2:20 PM 
To: HWPeeler (HPeeler) DelphiPlus Member Icon Poll  (10 of 13) 
 2881.10 in reply to 2881.9 

I do know about the eyesight ... who said these were our golden years?  :-)

I have a few boxes of all things about crocheting ... nearly 30 years worth of patterns and pattern books, tons of yarn, accessories, etc.  I don't crochet anymore, but I just hate the thought of giving away everything I have.  Decided the kids can sort it out after I've gone  :-)

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-13
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | About Delphi
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.