Miscellaneous -  Swear Words In Your Books (720 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostAug-9 6:52 PM 
To: All  (1 of 35) 

Books in America are full of swear words: the more recent, the more ...

It's not just your @#%& imagination: American books have gotten a lot more profane over the last six decades, according to a study led by a ...

Reply   Options 

From: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member IconAug-16 3:00 PM 
To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 35) 
 2890.2 in reply to 2890.1 

I am appalled at the viciousness of modern language usage in general, not to say that the same raw emotions cannot be expressed in polite terms.  Crudity for its own sake only illustrates the inability of the person to express themselves honestly.  I have no problem with the use of epithets and accents but in casual or even meaningful discourse, NO.

Warren

USCG Engineer 1961-1982

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostAug-17 7:00 PM 
To: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 35) 
 2890.3 in reply to 2890.2 

I have found that I'm coming across with many more books with swear words.  I don't mind a 'small' curse here and there, but some are using language my mother would have washed my mouth out with soap if uttered.

To: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 35) 
 2890.4 in reply to 2890.2 

Agreed!  There is a time and place for everything. I can use short words and hyphens with the best of them. My mother used to say that it showed a lack of education to do so.. I do't mind a few expletives  it is how people speak. I don't need a full description  of whatever sex play they are having either. Thats what movies are for books are for imagination. I don't go to movies because they have gone down the drain also.

To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 35) 
 2890.5 in reply to 2890.1 

I accept that bad language will appear in many of my books of choice.  I don't like it, apart from when it may appear in a humorous context.  For example, a hardened Londoner of either sex, aged and toothless, rolling their own cigarettes, slips in a naughty word or two when describing someone who's done them a wrong.  That does seem natural and I'm not offended, and it can be funny.  However, if the author, like some people I have worked with, drops the F bomb indiscriminately, then I'm turned off and will slot that name into my mental file for "Do Not Open Again".

A GLIMPSE OF HEAVEN

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostAug-19 4:54 AM 
To: KKWL unread  (6 of 35) 
 2890.6 in reply to 2890.4 

I read 'some' romantic suspense vs romance.  I especially like those authors who don't depend on graphic sexual descriptions.  I don't mind a little spice, if its appropriate within the book, but I'd almost rather read bad language  :-)

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostAug-19 4:55 AM 
To: CelticWarlrd DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 35) 
 2890.7 in reply to 2890.5 

I don't mind some bad language, but I do have my limits.  When an author passes those limits, I get rid of the book and add them to my do-not-ever-read list. :-)

From: Song~ (_Song_) DelphiPlus Member IconAug-20 8:42 PM 
To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 35) 
 2890.8 in reply to 2890.1 

I don't mind it if it fits the context in which it is used.

I almost find it more annoying when it's toned down to the point that you know a character in that time and situation would never speak that way.

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostAug-21 3:13 PM 
To: Song~ (_Song_) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 35) 
 2890.9 in reply to 2890.8 

If an author keeps it realistic, it works fine. 

From: Dan (DANCULBERSON) DelphiPlus Member IconAug-27 9:44 PM 
To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 35) 
 2890.10 in reply to 2890.1 

I suggest you read my column called "Cleaning Up the Dirty Words" at:

http://culberson.blogspot.com/2012/06/

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-30 31-35
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.