Miscellaneous -  New Books By Dead Authors (131 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostDec-1 6:16 PM 
To: All  (1 of 11) 

New books by dead authors

In December, a book lover's thoughts turn naturally to the great writers we've lost during the year — from John Ashbery to Lillian Ross, Kate Millett and more. If there's any solace to be had, it might be in new books that periodically appear from authors no longer with us. These works could be collections of ...

Reply   Options 

From: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member IconDec-4 1:02 AM 
To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 11) 
 3231.2 in reply to 3231.1 

Some overly productive (wordy) authors may have had legitimate in progress works, many works are probably sweepings from the cutting room floor, stuff that did not make the living cut.

Frank Herbert works are hugely suspect in that regard, no one has outlines so immense that can support, even with his sons and others helping, fleshing out such an enormous set of works.

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo; good chance a direction was left as the author was so young and had just presented his works for publication when he died unexpectedly.

The longer the delay, the less real credence a work deserves.

Warren

USCG Engineer 1961-1982

From: Dragoness (1Dragones) DelphiPlus Member IconDec-4 9:10 AM 
To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 11) 
 3231.3 in reply to 3231.1 
Collectible, no. Worth reading - maybe. If the book is co-authored such as those Tom Clancy works that have been appearing every year, I consider that they were probably published with permission from the author's estate, and based on characters and situations originally created by Clancy but are not fully his work.

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostDec-5 7:30 AM 
To: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 11) 
 3231.4 in reply to 3231.2 

I always have doubts when 'they' come up with unpublished books 'found' years after the author has died.  I wonder who actually wrote whatever they present.

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostDec-5 7:31 AM 
To: Dragoness (1Dragones) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 11) 
 3231.5 in reply to 3231.3 

I wouldn't call it  collectible .. unless it was hand written by Abraham Lincoln and documented as such  :-)

I know there are at least 2 authors I know who have died ... and books now are being written under that author's name plus the actual writer. 

From: Dragoness (1Dragones) DelphiPlus Member IconDec-5 10:02 AM 
To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 11) 
 3231.6 in reply to 3231.5 
Yep. Tom Clancy, for one. The characters are Clancy's creation. The rest of the stories, not so much. And, there are at least two or three authors as co-writer on different series of Tom Clancy's stuff. My husband has been buying them (mostly the Grant Blackwood ones). It keeps hubby in reading material... but, in some ways, I wish he would find a new, living author to follow.

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostDec-6 5:03 PM 
To: Dragoness (1Dragones) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 11) 
 3231.7 in reply to 3231.6 

Those books are okay .. but generally speaking, they don't come close to what the original authors did. *sigh*

From: Dragoness (1Dragones) DelphiPlus Member IconDec-6 9:50 PM 
To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 11) 
 3231.8 in reply to 3231.7 
True, and I don't see how they ever could.

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostDec-7 5:52 PM 
To: Dragoness (1Dragones) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 11) 
 3231.9 in reply to 3231.8 

I guess if they keep the characters pretty close to the originals, then the stories wouldn't be as important ?

From: Dragoness (1Dragones) DelphiPlus Member IconDec-7 6:58 PM 
To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 11) 
 3231.10 in reply to 3231.9 
For some, that may be true. I usually like the plots more than most of the characters though.

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.