Kids, Teens, Young Adults -  Dr Prescribes Reading For Children (166 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host2/4/18 7:54 AM 
To: All  (1 of 9) 

Doctor's office prescribes reading for children, handing out free books

Last time Maggie Lewis-Stevenson took her twin 10-month-olds to the doctor's office, they each also got a book along with their well-visit shots and checkup. “I thought it was very sweet,” said Lewis-Stevenson, of the picture books they received. They were handed the books in the exam room while waiting ...

Reply   Options 

From: Song~ (_Song_) DelphiPlus Member Icon2/4/18 1:41 PM 
To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 9) 
 3416.2 in reply to 3416.1 
Now that is something I'd like to see more of. The parents would have to do more than use the books for doorstops and such after they got home.

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host2/4/18 3:27 PM 
To: Song~ (_Song_) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 9) 
 3416.3 in reply to 3416.2 

I agree with you!  As long as they are age appropriate, I'd much rather them receive a book rather than a sticker :-)

From: Song~ (_Song_) DelphiPlus Member Icon2/4/18 7:27 PM 
To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 9) 
 3416.4 in reply to 3416.3 
Or a lollipop that I've seen still being handed out at some offices.

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host2/5/18 2:11 AM 
To: Song~ (_Song_) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 9) 
 3416.5 in reply to 3416.4 

I remember a time when a dental office would give a well-behaved child a sucker as they left the office.  Could not believe it! 

From: Song~ (_Song_) DelphiPlus Member Icon2/5/18 12:42 PM 
To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 9) 
 3416.6 in reply to 3416.5 
My dentist when I was a kid did...he also didn't use novocaine. :/

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host2/6/18 11:35 AM 
To: Song~ (_Song_) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 9) 
 3416.7 in reply to 3416.6 

Yikes!  He should have been handing out boxes of suckers!

From: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member Icon2/6/18 4:08 PM 
To: Song~ (_Song_) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 9) 
 3416.8 in reply to 3416.6 

For information:

https://www.colgate.com/en-us/oral-health/procedures/anesthesia/local-anesthesia

Columbia

Sometimes your dentist needs to numb a part of your mouth. He or she injects medicine into your gum or inner cheek. This medicine is called local anesthesia.

Lidocaine is the most common local anesthetic that dentists use. There are many others. They all have names ending in "-caine." Many people think of Novocain as the classic numbing drug. But Novocain actually is not used anymore. Other drugs last longer and work better than Novocain. These drugs also are less likely to cause allergic reactions.

http://directionsindentistry.net/dental-mythbuster-4-dentists-still-use-novocaine/

There are some dental myths I hear quite frequently in my dental office in Orange, CT. The novocaine myth is one of the most common.  Invariably, as I am talking about a procedure with my patient in the chair, he/she will say something to the effect of:

“So you are going to give me a shot of novocaine, right?”

I usually do not correct the patient, unless he/she works in the medical or pharmaceutical field.  If I were to answer the question, I would say:

“No, I am not going to give you a shot of novocaine. Dentists stopped injecting novocaine over 30 years ago. We use local anesthetics that are more effective and have less potential for allergic reactions now.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dental_anesthesia

Local anesthetic agents in dentistry[edit]

The most commonly used local anesthetic is lidocaine (also called xylocaine or lignocaine), a modern replacement for procaine (also known as novocaine). Its half-life in the body is about 1.5–2 hours. Other local anesthetic agents in current use include articaine (also called septocaine or ubistesin), bupivacaine (a long-acting anesthetic), and mepivacaine. A combination of these may be used depending on the situation. Also, most agents come in two forms: with and without epinephrine (adrenaline) or other vasoconstrictor that allow the agent to last longer and also controls bleeding in the tissue during procedures. Usually the case is classified using the ASA Physical Status Classification System before any anesthesia is given.

Warren

USCG Engineer 1961-1982

From: Song~ (_Song_) DelphiPlus Member Icon2/7/18 6:54 PM 
To: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 9) 
 3416.9 in reply to 3416.8 
He didn't use anything to numb, zip, nada, nothing...of course this was also back in the early 60's but still. Maybe it was his way of getting people to take better care of their teeth...get a cavity pay with pain?

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.