Polls & Quizzes -  Do you ever write in the margins of y... (415 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJul-3 3:07 AM 
To: All Poll  (1 of 21) 
Do you ever write in the margins of your books?
Yes
Yes - But Only Textbooks
No - Never

17 people have voted so far

Reply   Options 

From: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member IconJul-3 10:55 AM 
To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Poll  (2 of 21) 
 3872.2 in reply to 3872.1 

All that unmarked paper demands to be used.  I wrote copious notes in the margins of texts in specialty and collegiate schools (when I owned the books, public/government schools demanded clean pages). 

I find little to write in recreational or similar books unless the need is over something outrageous, I DO write in margins of manuals and how to books as I almost always reference and research things as I go along.

Back in the day when I was in Maritime Safety Management, I used to mark up the Federal Register (a newsprint thowaway format) as part of my daily hour or two of regulatory research reading.

Warren

USCG Engineer 1961-1982

• Edited July 3, 2018 10:58 am  by  Bike (URALTOURIST1)

From: DonnaMira-VA (DONNAMIRA) DelphiPlus Member IconJul-3 1:49 PM 
To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Poll  (3 of 21) 
 3872.3 in reply to 3872.1 

I will write definitions in the margins, but only using pencil so it can be erased. I do it even in library books, tsk tsk. I figure that if I don’t know a word, there are others who don’t either, and might appreciate it.  My current library book, Gnomon by Nick Harkaway, has several additions already.  How many people know that brinjal is another word for aubergine or slantendicular a synonym for oblique?  :)  Harkaway’s as bad as China Miéville on weird words.  

hobbit

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJul-3 7:01 PM 
To: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Poll  (4 of 21) 
 3872.4 in reply to 3872.2 

I sort of expect textbooks to have notes  on the margin, sentences scratched out, notes made.  Makes me cry to think of someone writing all over a book I read for pleasure.  :-)

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJul-3 7:02 PM 
To: DonnaMira-VA (DONNAMIRA) DelphiPlus Member Icon Poll  (5 of 21) 
 3872.5 in reply to 3872.3 

If I can't understand the meanings like you mentioned ... I probably wouldn't be reading the book in the first place  :-)

To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Poll  (6 of 21) 
 3872.6 in reply to 3872.4 

The only book I would even consider writing in is a textbook. It irritates me when I get a book from the library and people have written in it.  I also hate it when people turn down the corner of the page to mark their place instead of using a bookmark.

To: Freeman54 Poll  (7 of 21) 
 3872.7 in reply to 3872.6 

"turn down the corner of the page to mark their place" term "Dog Ear"

To: bernie44444 Poll  (8 of 21) 
 3872.8 in reply to 3872.7 

yes..that's what we call it here too, but I wasn't sure how universal that term was.

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJul-5 1:43 PM 
To: Freeman54 Poll  (9 of 21) 
 3872.9 in reply to 3872.6 

those are just 2 of my pet peeves!

To: DonnaMira-VA (DONNAMIRA) DelphiPlus Member Icon Poll  (10 of 21) 
 3872.10 in reply to 3872.3 

I hate to find notes in library books.  Definition, critical comments, anything.  If I want a definition I'll look it up, and I'll make my own critical judgments.

Pat

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.