Chit Chat -  What causes you to stop reading a book? (281 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJul-8 3:30 AM 
To: All  (1 of 27) 

What would cause you to stop reading a book halfway through?

Poor editing .. and by that,  I mean consistently words not spelled correctly ... character name change in the middle of the book ... just poor grammar all the way around

Reply   Options 

To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 27) 
 3883.2 in reply to 3883.1 

The thing that causes me to stop reading a book is a plot that (for one reason or another) just doesn't grab my attention. Poor grammar does certainly lower my opinion of a book, but I would still finish the book if the plot and characters are engaging.

From: Dragoness (1Dragones) DelphiPlus Member IconJul-8 2:42 PM 
To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 27) 
 3883.3 in reply to 3883.1 

Loss of interest in the plot.  I muddle through poor editing if the characters are likeable and if the story has enough action.  If the story makes no sense whatsoever, then I'll drop it like a hotcake fresh from the pan... and likely won't make it past the first chapter or two.

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJul-9 9:39 AM 
To: Freeman54  (4 of 27) 
 3883.4 in reply to 3883.2 

I think the plot is the most important part of reading.  Characters follow closely.  I read a lot of crime fiction ... I grew up in a law enforcement family ..and later married a Sheriff.  I'l always look for at least a little credibility.

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJul-9 9:40 AM 
To: Dragoness (1Dragones) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 27) 
 3883.5 in reply to 3883.3 

How long do you give a book (usually) before you give up on it ..for whatever reason?

To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 27) 
 3883.6 in reply to 3883.4 

Have you read any of the Rumpole of the Bailey series by John Mortimer?  Horace Rumpole is a barrister who typically tries his cases in London's Old Bailey.

Rumpole of the Bailey is a series of books created and written by the British writer and barrister John Mortimer based on the television series Rumpole of the Bailey.

Mortimer adapted his television scripts into a series of short stories and novels starting in 1978. A series of anthologies and omnibus editions were also released.

From: DonnaMira-VA (DONNAMIRA) DelphiPlus Member IconJul-9 4:26 PM 
To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 27) 
 3883.7 in reply to 3883.1 

I almost always finish a book once I've started, but the few times I haven't has been due to a lack of sympathetic or interesting characters.  If I don't care about the people, I will put the book down, even more readily than if it's simply dislike of the characters (after all, people change! And eventually with a good author, you start understanding what is driving the character to be so unlike-able).  I drop authors when characterization falters - when they tell you one thing about a character, then have the person do something that may be good for the plot but doesn't follow what they've told you about the character.  I might finish the book, but I don't pick up others by the same author. 

hobbit

From: Dragoness (1Dragones) DelphiPlus Member IconJul-9 6:01 PM 
To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 27) 
 3883.8 in reply to 3883.5 

Depends on the length of the book, mostly.  25 pages of books up to 300 pages in length.  50 pages of books from 300 pages up to 500 pages in length, 10% of books beyond 500 pages in length up to a maximum of 100 pages of a 1000 page or longer book.  Also, up to 3 days after I lay the book down.  If I don't pick up within 3 days, I'm likely not going to continue. 

Still there are exceptions.  I have picked up books beyond the 3 day limit. I have also read up to 200 pages of a 400 page book before throwing in the towel, however, most times neither of those things happen.  And I have also finished reading some books and then thought "Why did I waste my time on this drivel?"

One of those exceptions was Robert Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land.  I read almost exactly half before I gave it up as being entirely too slow. To be fair, I established my "approximately 10%" rule more than 20 years after that. Yet, I love other books Heinlein wrote, having read many of them two or three times. 

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJul-10 3:06 AM 
To: Freeman54  (9 of 27) 
 3883.9 in reply to 3883.6 

No, I haven't.  I have heard of the series though.   I may take a closer look at the stories.

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJul-10 3:08 AM 
To: DonnaMira-VA (DONNAMIRA) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 27) 
 3883.10 in reply to 3883.7 

I understand.  It's hard to invest time in reading if there is nothing to connect with the characters.   Usually if I don't finish a book .. which is rare .. it's a combination of things.

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-27
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.