IN THE NEWS -  Donating Books Leads To Littering Ticket (117 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJul-8 8:46 AM 
To: All  (1 of 5) 

Dan Alessio, a 78-year-old hairdresser, left a box and two shopping bags of books outside a Melbourne Salvos store, only to be handed a $322.38 fine by the council for littering.

https://10daily.com.au/news/a190708jtnbu/elderly-man-who-tried-to-donate-books-to-salvos-fined-for-littering-20190708

Reply   Options 

To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 5) 
 4984.2 in reply to 4984.1 

I suppose it might depend on the quality of the books left outside the store....

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJul-8 10:51 AM 
To: heim618  (3 of 5) 
 4984.3 in reply to 4984.2 

I could probably understand if all the books had not been in boxes or bags.. just thrown out there. But I don't consider leaving donation items to be a form of littering.

From: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member IconJul-8 1:49 PM 
To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 5) 
 4984.4 in reply to 4984.1 

We are seeing far fewer donation bins around here as they used to only be magnets for dumping beds, mattresses, cribs, rotten clothing and the like.  Many of the Salvation army or SVDP and Goodwill are more and more insisting on only in person or direct to store donations, no unattended collections for the most part, much neater store properties with no junque piles nearby.

One should note that many to most collection bins remaining are in fact for profit rag collections, sometimes immediately baled and shipped to Haiti or other really 3rd world operation for sorting or processing for bulk scrap and materials.

Warren

USCG Engineer 1961-1982

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJul-8 8:07 PM 
To: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 5) 
 4984.5 in reply to 4984.4 

That makes sense ..... There are several thrift stores in my area.  They don't seem to have a problem asking for donations to be left at their door if they are closed.

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.