Chit Chat -  Best Book a Teacher Ever Recommended (246 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMay-16 1:32 PM 
To: All  (1 of 38) 

What Is the Best Book a Teacher Ever Recommended to You?

Was there a book a teacher recommended you’d never have picked up on your own but ended up loving? Which assigned book made a lasting impression?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/08/books/teacher-appreciation-week-books.html

Reply   Options 

From: Alfi (THIALFI) DelphiPlus Member IconMay-16 5:07 PM 
To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 38) 
 5995.2 in reply to 5995.1 

Well, no, but there was one English teacher who turned me loose in her personal library to read what I wished.

That would be my mother, who was an English teacher and assistant principal in New York City high schools.

"When I was young, I looked like Al Capone, but I lacked his compassion." -- Oscar Levant

There is frequently more to be learned from the unexpected questions of a child than the discourses of men.
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/j/john_locke.html
There is frequently more to be learned from the unexpected questions of a child than the discourses of men.
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/j/john_locke.html

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMay-16 5:24 PM 
To: Alfi (THIALFI) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 38) 
 5995.3 in reply to 5995.2 

I had one teacher who would give me a book every so often to read ...sadly I can't remember any titles.  She also asked my mother permission to take me to the movies to see the Ten Commandments.  That's something that would never happen in today's world.  My mom is the one who gifted me the joy of reading... she let me read anything I wanted ...but I had to understand what I was reading. There were tests  :-)

From: Love is Love is Love is Love (BeingHuman2)May-18 8:53 AM 
To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 38) 
 5995.4 in reply to 5995.1 

In High School, The Scarlet Letter. I fell in love with it. While my classmates were reading the cliff notes, I read the book and also went on to read House of the seven Gables and discovered the Bronte sisters, Wuthering Heights, another favorite. 
When I was little, my mother would buy me a Little Golden book from the grocery store if I behaved during our Saturday errands. When I was in the 2nd grade I got my first library card and found my second home ;)

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMay-18 11:30 AM 
To: Love is Love is Love is Love (BeingHuman2)  (5 of 38) 
 5995.5 in reply to 5995.4 

I, too, remember  spending many hours in the library on the weekends.  Aas an adult, I did the same, but I was looking for books to get my boys interested in reading for pleasure.

From: Lyndy (Lyndy7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMay-22 7:25 AM 
To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 38) 
 5995.6 in reply to 5995.1 

This discussion and forum have been promoted in today's Delphi Daily News ~ Join In! http://forums.delphiforums.com/news1/messages/?msg=3341.1

From: Lyndy (Lyndy7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMay-22 7:28 AM 
To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 38) 
 5995.7 in reply to 5995.1 

A certified teacher recommended Agatha Christie's Murder of Roger Ackeroyd, which got me started on being a Christie fan, but the man who taught me to read - my Dad - got me started on Lassie books. My family were a family of readers so we all started early to read and write.

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMay-22 9:13 AM 
To: Lyndy (Lyndy7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 38) 
 5995.8 in reply to 5995.6 

Thank you so much!

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMay-22 9:14 AM 
To: Lyndy (Lyndy7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 38) 
 5995.9 in reply to 5995.7 

I don't remember any direct recommendation. I was six when I read my first book ... it was Wildfire by Zane Gray.  I was blessed with a mom who was a reader and let me read anything I could understand. I also learned how to use the dictionary at the same time :-)  And yes.. there were tests  :-)

To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 38) 
 5995.10 in reply to 5995.9 

I don't think I ever had a teacher recommend a book for me to read. But I did have a high school teacher who loved reading out loud. He introduced me to "living Shakespeare" and the British Air Training Plan in Canada via "Dat Hair Train Plan", a book of poems that told how two Quebecois gentlemen learned about flying. Another poem that Mr. David introduced us to was "Leetle Bateese", a Quebecois look at a small boy who is forever getting into trouble.

Stay Safe! Stay Gold!

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-30 31-38
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.