Chit Chat -  When Does Book Burning Begin? (187 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-28 11:14 AM 
To: All  (1 of 15) 

After all the statues are toppled, will libraries be next? I’m sure that every book or periodical contains something that offends someone somewhere. When does the book burning begin?

(there was no article)

Reply   Options 

From: Lyndy (Lyndy7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJul-2 3:45 PM 
To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 15) 
 6112.2 in reply to 6112.1 

This chit chat item has been promoted in today's Delphi Daily News ~ Join In! Completed with an invitation!

https://forums.delphiforums.com/news1/messages/?msg=3392.1

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJul-3 2:39 AM 
To: Lyndy (Lyndy7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 15) 
 6112.3 in reply to 6112.2 

Super!  Thank You!

From: Lyndy (Lyndy7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJul-3 6:33 AM 
To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 15) 
 6112.4 in reply to 6112.3 

you are welcome! It is an interesting discussion!

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJul-3 8:24 AM 
To: Lyndy (Lyndy7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 15) 
 6112.5 in reply to 6112.4 

To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 15) 
 6112.6 in reply to 6112.1 

I think it's already started, after a fashion. Aside from the inordinate number of banned books, classics like Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn, some groups are already starting to attack print and video media, calling it 'fake news'.

To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 15) 
 6112.7 in reply to 6112.1 

You're right, the christian certainly loves censorship 

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJul-4 10:53 AM 
To: Pegasus (VE5CAP)  (8 of 15) 
 6112.8 in reply to 6112.6 

I see so many things that have been around for  years and years .. and it's just now offending someone.  it's a shame!

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJul-4 10:55 AM 
To: smilingeorge DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 15) 
 6112.9 in reply to 6112.7 

I won't get into this type of discussion .. only to say censorship is pusued by many ... of many colors, or many religions, of different genders

To: smilingeorge DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 15) 
 6112.10 in reply to 6112.7 

In the past it was mainly under the impetus of conservative groups, including Christian organizations, which attempted to ban books.  They were seldom successful.

In more recent times censorship has come overwhelmingly from the Left and they have been actually been very good at getting their way.  That's because the Big Media supports them in this.  They use terms like 'hate speech' as an excuse to cancel the writings of those who do not strictly adhere to identity politics, multiculturalism, and globalism. 

It's gotten so bad that when doing a Google search a person is usually better off starting with the results on page two or three because the first page will invariably be filled with left/liberal/progressive takes on any subject you name.

Wikipedia is by no means immune.  Its editors are overwhelmingly (more than 90%) left-liberal in orientation.  Wikipedia is okay for uncontroversial subjects like the nesting habits of robins or the population of Fresno, California, but don't expect anything like objective treatment for anything that's happened in history.   I don't know how deep the corruption is by I have personally been approached by one of their editors to pay to get an article on Wikipedia.  The biggest problem isn't the graft, though, it's the ignorance or outright propagandizing.  Facts are frequently omitted to suit a narrative.  Many entries on Wikipedia change daily, as editors fight it out when two of them cannot agree.

Ultimately this is leading to a 1984 situation only much more sophisticated than Orwell imagined.  The state doesn't even have to get involved!  Let outraged readers and editors and owners of giant corporations alter history and ban and gag contrary opinion!

It's yet another reason to put more trust in printed material rather than books.  They cannot be as easily altered or even eliminated.  Yes, you can burn books.  But with electronic media, the person in control only needs to hit the delete button.

• Edited July 4, 2020 12:50 pm  by  Apollonius (Theocritos)

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-15
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.