Chit Chat -  Young Adult Books Great For Older Reader (266 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostApr-4 1:23 AM 
To: All  (1 of 18) 

No reader should have to apologize for liking a particular type of book.  Young adult books are entertaining, well written, tackle many serious issues in hopeful ways, are full of emotion (think release) and are often quick reads.

https://www.newspressnow.com/life/books/young-adult-books-great-for-older-readers/article_a433351a-9182-11eb-ba7e-dff537a72407.html

Reply   Options 

To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 18) 
 7032.2 in reply to 7032.1 

One of my co-workers at the library primarily read YA books.  She did our teens programs and really had a knack for communication with young teens.  She loved YA books.  I've read a handful, especially some of the really popular ones which dealt with real life issues which teens might encounter. 

That category didn't exist when I was a teen, but it's an important one now, as educators and librarians try to get young people hooked on reading.  Every year, students had a summer reading list.  Of course, those who put off their reading until the end of the summer had no chance of getting copies. 

One of the youngsters we all knew and helped as she grew is now an Electrical Engineering major at Georgia Tech.  We loved the success stories of our customers.   

The one that stands out in my memory is Anthony Doerr's All the Light We Cannot SeeThe Librarian of Auschwitz, based on a personal story, is well worth reading as well.

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostApr-4 10:28 AM 
To: MerlinsDad  (3 of 18) 
 7032.3 in reply to 7032.2 

I will occasionally read a YA .. mostly I find it hard to identify with teen problems... it's been a long time since I was a teen  :-)

One of the youngsters we all knew and helped as she grew is now an Electrical Engineering major at Georgia Tech. 

WOW!  That's terrific.  Makes it all worthwhile, doesn't it?  :-)

To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 18) 
 7032.4 in reply to 7032.3 

I probably won't read YA now that I'm away from the library and don't know what's popular and being required.  We had an entire section devoted to YA, which shows how important they've become. 

YA deals with a broad range of subjects:  of course, the usual teen problems, but also with being a refuge (Alan Gratz, Refuge, which is one I was impressed with); environmental issues; parent being in prisoned (in fact, we had a J(uvenile) on that topic also; being a black person and the problems; being a brown person and the problems; being a teen mother; death of a parent or grandparent (also J books on those subjects); as well as a lot of fantasy stuff.  John Grisham has a Kid Lawyer series.  In other words, most of the topics adult books are written on.

I was impressed by the diversity of topics.  Alan Gratz had an extremely popular one, Prisoner B-3087 dealing with being a prisoner in a Nazi concentration camp.  That one also impressed me.  

I mentioned The Librarian of Auschwitz, dull in places but overall impressive that a youngster could survive such risks.

Message 5 of 18 was Deleted  

To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 18) 
 7032.6 in reply to 7032.3 

She wasn't the only one I saw go from Magic Treehouse books to college.  As you say, it made the job very satisfying. 

We had a group of learning disabled students come in every week.  Two of my co-workers, D and C, made special effort to take care of them and show them love and concern and special assistance.  I think they came in early on Tuesday mornings, so there weren't many other customers.   We all understood that caring for them was D and C's special assignment for that hour, even though it never appeared on the daily work assignment sheet.  It made all of us feel good to see these youngsters so happy. 

When the place that brought them moved locations and took them to another branch, they fussed until they were brought back to our branch, even if it was a little farther to drive.  It spook volumes about the way they were treated at our branch.

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostApr-4 8:26 PM 
To: MerlinsDad  (7 of 18) 
 7032.7 in reply to 7032.6 

A good, caring librarian can make all the difference in the world for a lot of kids.

I had a 4th grade teacher who took an interest in me.  She would bring me books to read.. and when I brought it back she'd ask me to tell her about the book.  Besides my mother, she was one who encouraged me to read.  She  once came to the house and asked my mom if she could take me to a movie. I think it was The Old Man and The Sea.  Of all the teachers I've had  over the years, she's the one I remember most fondly.

To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 18) 
 7032.8 in reply to 7032.7 

You were fortunate to have such a caring teacher, and, obviously, it had a major impact on your life -- look at your terrific book forum and your little library.  Those are strong thank yous to that teacher and others who encouraged you to enjoy reading.

That branch of the library -- where I spent 12 years -- had extraordinary staff.  They really cared about the customers, and the customers knew it.  They loved their library, and we did all we could to return that love.  I've never worked with a group of people who supported and helped each other like that group did.  I came to believe strongly in what a library stands for, just as you do with your library.  I don't know that we changed any lives, but we certainly helped lots of youngsters pursue their goals.

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostApr-4 11:05 PM 
To: MerlinsDad  (9 of 18) 
 7032.9 in reply to 7032.8 

My dream was always to open a book store ... unfortunately, I never saw it come to pass .. but that's okay.  With all the books around the house in several bookcases, sometimes it feels like I live in a bookstore  :-)

To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 18) 
 7032.10 in reply to 7032.1 

No choice as You only pass through the real YA once but the books you would have read did not exist. Now it is time to catch up. I also track down books to re-read from decades ago.

"Star Ship on Saddle Mountain" by Atlantis Hallam January 1, 1955

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-18
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.