Buggy for Bugs

Hosted by Kid (Kidmagnet)|AnimalSake

Find bugs interesting? Want to learn more? Or share your own bug knowledge? This is the forum for you! Please check your Raid at the door.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Math Problem Solving Seen in Bumblebees!   Bees, wasps, hornets

Started 12/17/17 by Kid (Kidmagnet); 947 views.
Kid (Kidmagnet)

12/17/17

Homework got you down? See the bees! 

HWPeeler (HPeeler)

Dec-23

No math required. Yes you can use math if you choose but the math is an option.

Kid (Kidmagnet)

Dec-23

I hardly ever fly around pollinating flowers these days. When I do htogh,  I not only use math but my insect-stinks.

YMMV

Merry Christmas HPeeler.

HWPeeler (HPeeler)

Dec-24

??? Is it remarkable that people navigated between islands before navigational theories using math or sextants. Math can be applied but it is not required in this instance. All insects navigate their world without a need for math. Their less than 1,000,000 brain cells are sufficient.

Bees have between 340,000 to 1,000,00 brain cells depending on the type.

Ants maybe 250,000. Many land crawlers are down around this level. Maybe flight requires more brains. relaxed

Kid (Kidmagnet)

Dec-24

They are all using math - problem solving. Just the innate form of it not the learned.

HWPeeler (HPeeler)

Dec-24

Problem solving? Yes. Intelligence? Certainly. Math is a human invention. Do you imagine they are doing math in their heads most humans are incapable of on paper or with a calculator? Bering aware of time in flight is not math.

What are you considering that you think is math that the bee does?

Kid (Kidmagnet)

Dec-25

HWPeeler (HPeeler) said:

Problem solving?

Yes I think I'll solve this one now.

Not interested in an argument Peeler if you don't think using this type of thinking (judging and comparing distances and finding the best route) to be math then fine and dandy. I do and yes you can walk away feeling you are right if it makes you feel better.

HWPeeler (HPeeler)

Dec-26

I was just trying to understand what your view of math was. There are no bee schools that teach math.

Navigation does not require math. The bee is capable of understanding direction, distance and time. Is anything else really required?

In reply toRe: msg 8
Kid (Kidmagnet)

Dec-29

The ability to do math is not a human invention. Yes it exists in nature, yes it is mathematics when animals calculate distance, recognize patterns, count... just as it is when very tiny humans do it.

The ability to communicate is also inmate. Language is learned. Same / same.

gads!