Buggy for Bugs

Hosted by Kid (Kidmagnet)|AnimalSake

Find bugs interesting? Want to learn more? Or share your own bug knowledge? This is the forum for you! Please check your Raid at the door.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Is It?   General bug questions and info

Started Jul-2 by kizmet1; 161 views.
kizmet1

Jul-2

I dropped a screw onto my porch and used a screwdriver to push the leaves out of the way to get it.  A big thing waddled out from it's hiding place.  It was the size of an almond (shelled) and rounded on both ends.  It had brown and white stripes running from front to  back.  It started moving and it was making a noise like it was grumbling or had asthma.   What was it?  I have never seen anything that size before or withh those stripes.

Kid (Kidmagnet)

Jul-2

This is Norman 

I did not let him in the back door (the cats woulda got him!) so the next day he tried the front 

kizmet1

Jul-2

That is exactly what I found.  Should I trap it?   Why does it makr noise?  How long do they live?  What do they eat?   Should I keep it?

Never in my life have I seen such a big bug except for the cockroach in Waikiki when I was 4.

Kid (Kidmagnet)

Jul-2

They usually just rest up for a day or two and leave. Their only mission as adults is to mate. They make the noise to warn you away. They are beetles in case I did not make that abundantly clear lol. One of the kids (and parents) asked if ours was a cockroach. lol  You can keep it if you like but it's not much of an interesting pet if captive. I mostly just name them and talk to them while they hang about.

kizmet1

Jul-3

As educational as meeting a June Bug in July has been, I think I will let him go about his social life, such as it is.  With a grumble like his he needs a lot of time to brush up on his courting ways.

The cockroaches I saw in Waikiki were bigger than any bug I have ever seen.  They came up into the kitchen sink.  I was 4.  They seemed to be a good 3 inches long.  More like shrimp.

Kid (Kidmagnet)

Jul-3

kizmet1 said:

The cockroaches I saw in Waikiki were bigger than any bug I have ever seen. They came up into the kitchen sink. I was 4. They seemed to be a good 3 inches long.

Wow a few of them coulda carried you off! lol

kizmet1

Jul-4

LOL.  I didn't volunteer to get anything out of the kitchen for at least a week and when I was asked to I brought the broom with me.

I think we could get rid of cockroaches if we made them a gourmet food.

Kid (Kidmagnet)

Jul-4

kizmet1 said:

I think we could get rid of cockroaches if we made them a gourmet food.

I think that might be a tough sell! lol

kizmet1

Jul-4

Not in some nations. Not sure where, tho.  Must be like eating ants and grasshoppers?