Books -  Memories (52 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe
From: solomoney DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host10/10/02 1:47 PM 
To: All  (1 of 4) 

Cafe' au Go Go is a fading memory of almost 40 years ago.  Many who started and played there are sadly gone and most at young ages leaving their indelible mark in the annals of entertainment.  This cabaret theater was never to be equaled again since its passing in mid 1969.  Even when Richie Havens took it over for a short time it was never to be the same again.  It was the undisputed champion of developing new talent and playing the finest of the time in all areas of music, theater, cabaret, out which developed the leaders of the Recording, Film/TV, Theatrical, Management/Production, which remain the industry leaders of today.  Its 6 year history of presenting 2600 performances left its mark on New York City culture.  Little remains of its existance, other than some multitrack audiotape and 16mm colour film and about 20 released live recordings.  Lately authors have written of it with reverance and understanding.

Reply   Options 

From: solomoney DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host10/11/02 1:28 AM 
To: All  (2 of 4) 
 100.2 in reply to 100.1 
I wonder if any of you have gotten a copy of "The Trials of Lenny Bruce" and read the portions of Cafe' au Go Go and listened the the accompanying CD narrated by Nat Hentoff of the Village Voice.  The book is scholarly penned by David Skover who is a professor of law concerned with First Amendment rights (Freedom of Speech).  Read it you'll enjoy it because it takes you BACKSTAGE in the 60's and talks about many of the players and mavens of the that period.

To: solomoney DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 4) 
 100.3 in reply to 100.2 
another wonderful trip back in time is a docu/movie I saw the other night called 'The Source'. about the lives of jack kerouac, allen ginsburg and william s burroughs. lenny bruce also appears, so does dylan and a lot more legends. everything is accompanied by great music. dennis hopper also does an excellent ginsberg... must-see!

From: solomoney DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host10/11/02 7:36 PM 
To: Jim2873  (4 of 4) 
 100.4 in reply to 100.3 
Thanks for the alert on the Source......i'll look for it. 

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.