Films -  D2 Videotapes (31 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: solomoney DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host7/30/03 6:53 PM 
To: arnysshack unread  (1 of 1) 

Tony I sent you the D2 VideoTapes of the Cafe' au Go Go film for you to proceed with creating a great version for release in the latest formats with which you are now familiar.  I am happy you have finished Rory Gallagher's latest acoustic CD and hope I'll be able to hear it.  Since our last correspondences I havn't followed much in the way of anything entertainment related other than my own venues and products related to my son Sheppard's career.  2 weeks ago I spotted an AMPEX 440B in a small music shop on Sunset Blvd.  on sale for $1200 in nice shape, but needs attention.  Also I've noticed at the Guitar Center the high prices for Fender Tube Amps of the 60's genre.  I know what you mean about recording in the old style.  The values of the 60's Martins, Gibsons, are still going up and only within reach of collectors.  I would think my film and tapes will enjoy similar appreciation in value.

The Fred Neil Tapes are in 5 shipping boxes from Sundazed.  Each carton weighs about 40lbs (200 lbs. total) containing varying formats totaling some 50 boxes and acetates along with correspondence, publicity, photos, slides, etc.  Also there are boxes of Bob Gibson, Richie Havens, Odetta, Dave Van Ronk, B.B. King,Bethlehem Asylum, Dwain Story, and others which I'd like to send at a later date.  What would be the best method of shipping?  Do you think DONAL/BMG would bear the expense at this time.  I've found that Foreign interest is greater in France, Germany, Italy, Australia, Spain, is greater than USA.  Of course the same questions as to licenses, rights, permissions still apply, but for the most part they have been secured back then before all the new technologies were developed.  Statutory fees need to be paid to all writers and publishers and rights societies made aware of the releases.  George who accomplished this before could perhaps help in this regard.

As I mentioned in our E-Mails I am reinvigorated to accomplish this worthwhile task.

It would have been nice you could have gotten together with Rico and his lovely wife on their last trip to Paris.  Perhaps somehow he'd allow release of the Bayshore material along with this archive of Fred Neil and Friends.  Also as HenryMiami suggested you might entreat Grove2You to speak to Chris Neil, and his brothers in this regard and see how they'd like to proceed with their Dad's last words and estate.

I know its an enormous undertaking but given your expertise and direction with the help of a Major Label it might get done by the Doers, not the Talkers.

Thanks again for your kind answer to my enquiry.  I hope this finds you well.  Did you notice that Nora Jones (Ravi's 24 year old daughter) is covering Gram Parsons and other of Fred's contemporaries.  Perhaps soon she'll cover some of the Neil catalog.

Reply   Options 

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.