From The Kitchen -  Beef Stew Recipes (346 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: GardenGal (LENORE37) DelphiPlus Member IconJan-3 10:27 PM 
To: All  (1 of 18) 

Today I made a very large pot of stew. It is just for my husband and me and will probably last for 3 meals.  We often cook a lot of something so we don't have to cook every day.

I've been making stew for over 55 years but am curious if there are other recipes for it that any of you use that is not the standard - beef, onions, liquid/broth, carrots, potatoes. 

Interested in what you use for seasoning it and if you use any different vegetables than I mentioned.  Obviously I am not speaking about warming it from a can or from frozen, just for those who make it from scratch. 

Linda, or anyone? 

From: Linda (LRuthers) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-4 10:55 AM 
To: GardenGal (LENORE37) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 18) 
 73230.2 in reply to 73230.1 

I make it like you do, Lenore. I also add garlic and celery...and about five minutes before serving, I add frozen peas. 

Dave's doing low carb [again]. so I'm think about substituting turnips for the potatoes...

From: GardenGal (LENORE37) DelphiPlus Member IconJan-4 10:59 AM 
To: Linda (LRuthers) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 18) 
 73230.3 in reply to 73230.2 

Thanks; I use peas on occasion too but went to the freezer and found tons of green beans but no peas this time.

From: Linda (LRuthers) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-4 11:01 AM 
To: GardenGal (LENORE37) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 18) 
 73230.4 in reply to 73230.3 

I didn't realize how often I use frozen peas until I ran out of them. bigSmile

From: DonnaMira-VA (DONNAMIRA) DelphiPlus Member IconJan-4 12:26 PM 
To: GardenGal (LENORE37) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 18) 
 73230.5 in reply to 73230.1 

The last time we made it, we put broccoli, cauliflower and green beans in, along with the potatoes and carrots.   No peas in our house - DH likes them, but not I.  We sometimes add water chestnuts.  

hobbit

From: Hankk62 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-4 2:51 PM 
To: Linda (LRuthers) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 18) 
 73230.6 in reply to 73230.2 

We started subbing turnips for potatoes a few years ago and we really like the stew that way.  We also add a parsnip or two, but basically the same recipe as almost everyone else.  Main difference for us, now, is that we do it in the Instant Pot and it doesn't take any time at all.

From: Tracy (inOrl) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-4 8:01 PM 
To: GardenGal (LENORE37) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 18) 
 73230.7 in reply to 73230.1 

Bacon, celery, carrots, potatoes, onion, mushrooms, garlic, bay leaf, thyme, tomato sauce, beef broth, stew beef

• Edited January 4, 2018 8:07 pm  by  Tracy (inOrl)

To: Linda (LRuthers) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 18) 
 73230.8 in reply to 73230.2 

MMMMM...That looks scrumptious!

To: GardenGal (LENORE37) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 18) 
 73230.9 in reply to 73230.1 

We love Beef Stew during this cold weather. We make it pretty much standard except we usually add garlic. Couple of posts here talked about substituting the potatoes with turnips...that sounds good. Might try that next time. We've also made stew with wild game...usually Deer, sometimes rabbit or squirrel.

To: All  (10 of 18) 
 73230.10 in reply to 73230.9 

I like beef stew. We call it, "Carne con Papas." I haven't had it (home made) in years.

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-18
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.