News Items -  The eyewear industry a ripoff? (399 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 23) 

From: Kid (Kidmagnet) DelphiPlus Member IconMar-7 11:32 AM 
To: P...... (Itsmeagain2)  (2 of 23) 
 75222.2 in reply to 75222.1 

And it's the same in Canada (rip-off) glasses should not cost upwards of $500 but many pay that for progressives here. Mine a single vision and the frames are children's and they still cost me over $200

From: shedra (shedra29) DelphiPlus Member IconMar-7 9:50 PM 
To: P...... (Itsmeagain2)  (3 of 23) 
 75222.3 in reply to 75222.1 

Before I had my cataract surgery and Lasik I don't need glasses but what I did was  get my prescription for my glasses from my doctor then went to Walmart and chose my frames and Walmart had them made you can find many frames at Walmart (their vision store) for under $100.00..my favorite ones cost me $39.00 plus the cost of the lens. still cheaper than my eye dr. 

To: shedra (shedra29) DelphiPlus Member Icon unread  (4 of 23) 
 75222.4 in reply to 75222.3 

I just did the exact same thing this past month.........no bi-focals for me, so i got 2 pair, one for reading, one for TV/driving......frames were $29. and the total for the 2 pair was around  $220...works for me!!!!

To: Kid (Kidmagnet) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 23) 
 75222.5 in reply to 75222.2 

I bought two pair of bifocals last year for $139.  One was sunglasses.

To: shedra (shedra29) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 23) 
 75222.6 in reply to 75222.3 

shedra (shedra29) said...

Before I had my cataract surgery and Lasik I don't need glasses but what I did was  get my prescription for my glasses from my doctor then went to Walmart and chose my frames and Walmart had them made you can find many frames at Walmart (their vision store) for under $100.00..my favorite ones cost me $39.00 plus the cost of the lens. still cheaper than my eye dr. 

Mine were $350.00 dollars just for the lens at Walmart, I am going over the mountain to Waynesboro to price some later today, will keep you informed.

GONBAD

To: Gonbad DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 23) 
 75222.7 in reply to 75222.6 

I got a 60% off coupon from Visionworks and used that. The whole pair, new frame and lenses, cost $311. (Progressives, "High Definition"). Not sure if it was still a fair price or not.

From: shedra (shedra29) DelphiPlus Member IconMar-8 2:16 PM 
To: Gonbad DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 23) 
 75222.8 in reply to 75222.6 

Gonbad said...

I am going over the mountain to Waynesboro to price some later today, will keep you informed.

yes, you can really get on up there in price.   my price was for single vision back when i just needed them for reading...but now I am having some trouble with my left eye...and I will be going to my eye dr. in Paducah, KY next month...and I will be getting bifocals ($)...no line  more ($), and then I want half lens (no frame on the bottom half.)  then I will be using them for night driving, so there is more ($)  and I will also want non glare ($)  since my eye surgeries everything is brighter and hedlights coming at me at night are really blinding.    I can see the cost really mounting up.  I tried contacts, but I don't like having to put them in and take them out.  and my eys water a lot sometimes....other times they are dry.    Good Luck   PS...that seems awful high just for lens....what kind do you usually get?

To: P...... (Itsmeagain2)  (9 of 23) 
 75222.9 in reply to 75222.7 

P...... (Itsmeagain2) said...

I got a 60% off coupon from Visionworks and used that. The whole pair, new frame and lenses, cost $311. (Progressives, "High Definition"). Not sure if it was still a fair price or not.

I quit going to Visionworks years ago because of their high prices when they changed over, I use to be able to get two pair of glasses for what they want to charge now. I just went to a Company called Americas Best and you may want to Google them and see if there is one near you, I just got a pair of clear glasses from Wally World cost was $350.00 and went to Americas Best today and got some Polarized Sunglasses ( brown color lenses) for $160.00. They used my frames just like Wally World did, I only had the lenses replaced, 10 days until I get the glasses.

GONBAD

To: Gonbad DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 23) 
 75222.10 in reply to 75222.9 

That's a good price!

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-23
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.