*Welcome to Eclectics Too!* -  New to the game (30 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Kitty (misskitt3) DelphiPlus Member Icon1/6/01 8:11 PM 
To: All  (1 of 6) 
I have been reading this board for several months now.... if it is so difficult to get published and the really good agents won't or can't help what is a new author to do..... Is self publishing an answer?

Reply   Options 

To: Kitty (misskitt3) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 6) 
 1199.2 in reply to 1199.1 
Someone said if your work is good, eventually the right editor/agent/publisher will come along. I have to admit, I'm getting much more attention now after polishing my work than I did two or three years ago when it wasn't as polished (though I declared it perfect at the time). I cringe when I read some of the stuff I sent out that I thought was ready. But every rejection makes you work at it harder, every criticism makes you see things from a different view. Self-publishing is expensive, and a great deal of work for the author (marketing, etc.). Is it worth it? Two of my friends opted to self-publish, and their books ended up dead in the water because they lacked the expertise to sell them once they were in print. One was optioned by a publisher later, and made stellar sales. I guess it comes down to why you want to be published, and if you have the money and time to invest.

From: Kitty (misskitt3) DelphiPlus Member Icon1/7/01 3:59 PM 
To: Cris (TalesToTell)  (3 of 6) 
 1199.3 in reply to 1199.2 
Thanks for your input. I know this is a long road and a friend suggested I selp publish but I too thought of the expense and the time. I'm not a marketeer.... I agree... I've "polished" twice since I sent out my first query.... Thanks

To: Kitty (misskitt3) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 6) 
 1199.4 in reply to 1199.1 
I've found that getting published is difficult primarily because the work isn't good enough yet. Getting a really good short story or novel published is easy.

Agents and editors are more than willing to help new writers who show they can write. Without new writers, agents and publishers would both go broke. But at least 90% of what shows up in the slush pile of agents and editors simply isn't good enough to publish. It isn't remotely good enough. Another five or six percent is almost good enough enough, but isn't quite there. It may lack originality, or be just a little too unpolished. Whatever, it isn't ready.

Getting published and finding an agent isn't hard. It's writing good fiction that's hard. It takes a lot of talent, a lot of skill, and a LOT of practice.

Too many writers expect to get the first thing they write published. Now, some writers do start off hot, and publish the first thing they write. But expecting to publish the first novel you write is like expecting to play Carnagie Hall after the first year of playing a violin.

My trouble with self-publishing is that too often a writer thinks he isn't getting published because editors are idiots, when the truth is the manuscript simply isn't good enough. And a bad novel self-published is still a bad novel. It's usually worse than a typical bad novel because there's no one to edit it.

From: Kitty (misskitt3) DelphiPlus Member Icon1/12/01 5:27 PM 
To: Mary'sSong (James255) unread  (5 of 6) 
 1199.5 in reply to 1199.4 
Thanks for the input. Like I said I'm new here. I am just in the research stage of the publishing part. Writing was great and I continue with that. Publishing is a lot of .... well, it's more like a game... a person needs to know the players, I suppose....

To: Mary'sSong (James255) unread  (6 of 6) 
 1199.6 in reply to 1199.4 

Great advice. I agree with you. Many writers find it easier to blame the agents/publishers. It is much harder to view one's work with a critical eye and be honest.

I have struggled with the query process myself. I do a poor job of promoting myself and my work. i started my blog recently to introduce my characters and to

improve my marketing skills. Thanks for being so helpful and honest.

thelonelyauthorblog

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.