El Guru's Tech Forum

Hosted by Kidmagnet|El Guru's Tech Blog

A forum about computers, browsers and more

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussion

The Death of Photobucket!   General

Started Jul-9 by The Cow Whisperer (ElGuru); 243 views.
Congratulations Photobucket, you have successfully managed to kill in less than 15-days what was a very successful business for nearly 15-years.

El Guru's Tech Blog: The Death of Photobucket

CDP (PerraultC)

Jul-11

It's as if they WANT to bury themselves. Just dumb - or brilliant - depending on the motivation.

Kidmagnet

Jul-11

CDP (PerraultC) said:

or brilliant - depending on the motivation.

This article tends to agree but it really does not sound like they actually used PB or spent any time with it.

Most people I know had paid for their membership. They were not given warning, were not polled and are not coughing up the dough. Time will tell I guess.

CDP (PerraultC)

Jul-11

I haven't ever used Photobucket. I have been poking around on my Flickr page to try and figure the interface out (it looks slick but clumsy if that makes sense). I wonder how the new(er) services like Flickr and Google Photos compare to how Photobucket did it.

Most people agree that the way PB went about this really sucked.  No warning?  All images posted just vanished?  Son of a bitch!

But then others say that PB's business model of being a third party hoster for millions of people just doesn't work any more.  They have to have memory space for all of those images and the cost of doing that makes it unprofitable.  So they had to shut it down.

I frankly expect other websites that offer a free hosting service to follow suit.

Song~ (_Song_)

Jul-13

I've slowly been changing over the the images I use for CSS on Delphi from PB, although so far none my forums or ones I was hosting CSS for have been affected.

Then again I had less than 1% of my space on PB used so it might take them a while to nuke my stuff? I'll just go to using them as a storage site and pull images when I need them.

I have no idea how much space is being taken up for my account, since I can't access it. The password I have saved doesn't work and really don't want to be bothered in jumping thru hops to change it. The only place there is likely still some of my PB images are older messages on Delphi. When I moved over to self hosted WordPress in 2009, all the images on my blogs were stored on my hosting space. As I had mentioned in another forum I got an email from PB on Monday, July 10th and again today telling me 'Some features on your account will be disabled'. Interesting, I didn't noticed the will last night around, so may be my images are still showing (not that I know where I have any).

Song~ (_Song_)

Jul-13

I haven't gotten any messages from PB yet either...I must be a real little fish! lol

What they should have done was allotted so much free hotlinking (say 100 mb) and then graduated up from that.