Windsor Greg (thomvan)

Fall Classic Baseball Game

Hosted by Windsor Greg (thomvan)|www.fallclassicbaseball.com

The Fall Classic Baseball community for Fall Classic Baseball Game.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

1986 MLB Replay   Replays and Great Games Played

Started Nov-8 by Brett (kingnthg); 1040 views.
Brett (kingnthg)

Nov-8

Well, I have started an ambitious undertaking of playing the full 1986 season.

Why 1986?

Well it is really the year I "Cut My Teeth" so to speak.  I was 11 when the season started, and turned 12 during the season.  It as always been on my list of seasons for any game to get, and attempt a replay.  I actually started one about a decade ago with another game, got into May, but life got in the way, and I never finished it.

I grew up (and still live in ) New England a Red Sox fan, so for obvious reasons, this season was great for me, until the bitter end, when I was indoctrinated into Red Sox heartbreak.

I had attended games at Fenway before 1986 (1983 being the earliest I remember), and went to 1 game in '86 (Against Oakland, a few days after Clemens' 20K game).

I have no idea how long this will take, or if I will ever actually complete it.  But I have set myself up to succeed - I have a Libreoffice data base to house the stats, and generate reports.  I also have a process in there to generate the day's scoresheets, with the defense and running ratings for the players, so I just have to print the days sheets, and off I go.

I will also try to keep the thread updated with game results, summaries, and standings.

We'll see how it goes!

curtalva

Nov-8

Looking forward to following and seeing how it goes. Are you printing your own cards from PDF? Or did you purchase the printed card set?

Curt

Brett (kingnthg)

Nov-8

PDF.

I have spent the last week or so, printing, perforating, separating, and setting up their opening day rosters.

I think in the future, I am going to get a rotary cutting tool (recommended over on the Table Top Sports forum in a FCB thread) and cut them that way - this will eliminate the separating step, and maybe make it go a little faster.  I do have a slide cut paper cutter, but I just don't like it.

Oh, and I had to buy a new printer too, as my old one, when I added "generic" toner, well, died.  I could have bought new, on-brand toner for $60 more than a new color laser printer cost - so I just got a new printer.

timpat3

Nov-8

Brett i will be following...I am starting a new adventure with Statis pro that will require me cutting, laminating etc. so I appreciate and applaud your efforts....I have watched you tubes of Fall Classic, been messaging Greg, and of course checked the forums...seems like an easy game to learn but with added bells and whistles that generate more interesting results...it's definitely on my list of games to try as we approach the new year...best of luck with '86....Bob

timpat3

Nov-8

always enjoy your projects!

Brett (kingnthg)

Nov-8

Thanks Bob, good to hear.

This one will, if I keep plugging at it, have a "Mike Mathias" vibe to it from the Replay forums, with my own touches, of course.

Being a stat nerd, I love entering the stats, and seeing the compiled reports, and building stat reports (that I share).  But my least favorite part is doing a game report for EVERY game, which in a full season attempt, is a LOT of reports.  So I am working on something so that I can give a quick summary of the game, with the linescore, WP/LP/SV.

We shall see how it shakes out.

timpat3

Nov-8

Perhaps spotlight a couple games a week, then post who's hot, who's not

Brett (kingnthg)

Nov-8

Yeah, that had crossed my mind.

I'll figure something out.

Most of it stems from me thinking as I  do a full game report - "I could be playing another game right now!"  LOL.

I am hoping that as I learn the game engine, my times speed up - averaging about 30 minutes right now.  That may help.

timpat3

Nov-8

I am definitely in the "Post Less, Play More" stage in my gaming career