Robert H (Hokie67)

Citizens for Kent County

Hosted by Robert H (Hokie67)

All Kent County, Maryland. All the time. A discussion of everything about our slice of paradise.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Victim or Owner???   Citizens Discussion

Started May-5 by Robert H (Hokie67); 96 views.
Robert H (Hokie67)

May-5

"... you can't start over. You can look backwards for context, but when you move... well, you have to move forward." Kevin Hancock, NOT for Sale

I'm reading Hancock's book in preparation for our trip to the Dakotas where we'll be landing in Rapid City, SD, at approximately this time next Sunday. I've also read Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee and In the Spirit of Crazy Horse. All three books are about the plight of the Lakota Indians over the years to now as the U.S. arbitrarily broke promises and treaties... taking their land and their buffalo.

But Hancock sees a solution offered by examples of some courageous folks on the Pine Ridge Reservation... one of the poorest sites in America.

I remembered the above quote that was early on in his book, when Heather Mizzeur was speaking yesterday at the PRIDE gathering. She didn't dwell on the past of the LGBTQ struggles, but 'looked' forward... and, in effect, not become victims of the past, but owners of the future. 

There's a big message here.    

In reply toRe: msg 1
Robert H (Hokie67)

May-5

Here's an easy way to remember:

Truism #56 - Don't be a victim of your past. Be an owner of your future.

In reply toRe: msg 2
Robert H (Hokie67)

May-7

"Don't let anyone rob you of your imagination, your creativity, or your curiosity. It's your place in the world; it's your life, Go on and do all you can with it, and make it the life you want to live."

Mae Jameson, Astronaut and first African-American woman in space

Kinda interesting that lots of people say the same things in many different ways. But... the message is sent. We just have to open our receptors.