Robert H (Hokie67)

Citizens for Kent County

Hosted by Robert H (Hokie67)

All Kent County, Maryland. All the time. A discussion of everything about our slice of paradise.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Compression of Time   As We Like It

Started May-8 by Robert H (Hokie67); 121 views.
Robert H (Hokie67)

May-8

I'm fascinated with 'growing old'. While I feel the same age as I've always been, I see myself aging in the people around me. Everybody else seems older... every day. And... I'm not sure at what age people start growing old. But... there seems to be one common denominator. We're guilty of time compression... the events of the past that happened 20 years ago appear to have happened just yesterday.

The other clue... time speeds up as you grow old. As a kid... the time between my birthday on October 10th till Christmas seemed to take an eternity. Now... it's like one is right after the other. Everything gets more and more hurried. I see this around me. Yeah, it might have something to do with that our time is running out and we want to make the most of what is left. BTW, this is what I like being surrounded by old people. Tons of examples of people not giving up... not being satisfied with going out to pasture. That's good part of our aging population... here and everywhere. 

What's interesting is that these assumptions have been based on my observation of the facts... accumulated over time. Unfortunately they are like radiation. A dose here and there are somewhat harmless, but the accumulation is deadly. It's a silent killer... just as time compression is to our community inventing our future. The Baby Boomers want their time to be relevant. Maybe that's why Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders are so appealing to the 'younger' Boomer generation. But... in the long run... it's time to move on. 

In reply toRe: msg 1
Robert H (Hokie67)

May-8

So... how does a community utilize the sage lives of its senior citizens... without falling into the time compression rabbit hole? Yeah, I love telling war stories about past happenings, but I love telling in the now and even more listening in the now. There's an unfortunate aspect to this evaluation process... seniors have time to volunteer... and there's competition for their bodies. See the conundrum building.

I don't like being around folks who link to things past as if they just happened... and that they are apropos to the now. And with the Baby Boomers emerging into an active retirement, it's hard to avoid these battery drainers. 

On the other hand, there are even mo' better folks who do contribute immensely to our community who don't do it while looking in their rear view mirrors of their lives. These are the folks I love to watch and listen to.   

fairwind1

May-12

Can see the future 5 yrs from now when chestertown the dna of economic growth looks like Rock Hall is now