Robert H (Hokie67)

Citizens for Kent County

Hosted by Robert H (Hokie67)

All Kent County, Maryland. All the time. A discussion of everything about our slice of paradise.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Ask the CCs to Fully Fund the KCPS FY20 Budget   Schools & Education

Started May-29 by flaws72; 175 views.
flaws72

May-29

The election may be over but the fight for our schools is not.

The vote on the proposed Kent County FY20 budget will take place within the next few weeks. Help us ask our commissioners to fully fund the KCPS FY20 budget request. Please sign the SOS petition on Change.org - http://chng.it/5vMfyLcMWf

Our schools were underfunded for years, leading to lay-offs, school closures, and limitation of services. New leadership was elected on the promise that they would adequately fund our school system and end the cycle of austerity in our schools.

The level of funding that is currently being offered is not adequate, and will lead to more cuts to staff and programming. Please join us in letting our Commissioners know that strong schools are important to you.

Thank you for your support and commitment to furthering the growth and development of our county - and of the children that will decide its future.
The proposed FY20 Budget was presented to the Kent County Commissioners on April 9, 2019. Video of that presentation and discussion is available on the SOS YouTube Channel.
  • Edited May 29, 2019 7:54 am  by  flaws72
Robert H (Hokie67)

May-29

I fully support superior funding for the best possible public education we can offer our kids. They are our legacy. I believe that there may be some areas of improvement, but we can't take the next steps without more funds. Less funds... and we'll be taking steps backwards. 

Unfortunately, there are many people in my demo category who don't agree with me on this plank of my campaign. They may have their pet projects of their own... or they may think that giving money to public education is a waste in general... or they may think that more money is not going to make our small rural school system better. And... their silence on the issue is an implied agreement with this.

Also, there are those who believe that our public schools have performed poorly and that's why there is a declining school enrollment... rather than looking at the flat revenues that the county and towns have produced over the last decade as a sign of stagnant economic development. These folks will will have a ton of explaining to do when the 2020 Census nums come out.

In any case, I'll vote as many times as I can. :-) 

In reply toRe: msg 2
Robert H (Hokie67)

May-29

people in my demo category who don't agree with me >>>>

No... they are well-meaning for the most part. They contribute to our sense of community in many valuable ways, but the public schools aren't on or at the top of their priority list. And yeah, if their grand kids went to our public schools, their list would look entirely different.  

flaws72

May-29

Why would anyone choose to not care about something that is so vital?

I don't have the option to not care about schools - my kids are currently in school and I want them to be able to get good jobs and contribute to their communities, not because they have to but because they want to, they are learning that in our schools.

I don't have the option to not care about the hospital - my family needs their services. When I have a sick kid in the middle of the night I need access to care without having to drive an hour away.

I don't have the option to not care about economic development - I am a small business whose clients are primarily other local small businesses. We work for, with and because of each other. We share resources and support each other.

Schools, a Hospital, Businesses - we need all of these.

Robert H (Hokie67)

May-29

Why would anyone choose to not care about something that is so vital?>>>>

GOK!!! Maybe when you get their age you find the answer to that question. Maybe not. I'm their age and I don't have the answer.

Robert H (Hokie67)

May-31

The budget is 'balanced' and that's part of good news. Other good news... revenues are projected to be up by $2.1 million.

The head in the oven and feet in the freezer news is that the schools are up 4.9%.

But then that has to be measured against the substantial increases in legal fees, the commissioners office and P&Z. And here is where a zero-based budget with functional cost applications would offer a clearer picture of how those $$$'s are being allocated.