Robert H (Hokie67)

Citizens for Kent County

Hosted by Robert H (Hokie67)

All Kent County, Maryland. All the time. A discussion of everything about our slice of paradise.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

The Dems Debate   Elections & Politics

Started Jun-29 by Robert H (Hokie67); 88 views.
Robert H (Hokie67)

Jun-29

OK - my cynicism said that Wed & Thurs nights' debates would be a reinforcement of Will Rogers' observations about the Dem party... and fodder for the late night show comics. Yeah, there were some aspects of those four hours that supported that diagnosis. But... the end result after talking it over with myself and Linda... there are about six or seven performers who just might be better candidates for president of the United States of America than Hillary Clinton was. And the more I think about it, the mo' sure I am about that.

So... here's my ratings of the candidates... with comments, etc to follow in this thread:

In reply toRe: msg 1
Robert H (Hokie67)

Jun-29

Wednesday Night 

1. Elisabeth Warren

2. Julian Castro

3. Amy Klobuchar

4. Tulsi Gabbard

5. Cory Booker

6. Jay Inslee

7. Bill de Blasio

8. John Delaney

9. Tim Ryan

10. Beto O'Rourke.  

In reply toRe: msg 2
Robert H (Hokie67)

Jun-29

Thursday Night

1. Kamala Harris

2. Pete Buttigieg

3. Kirsten Gillibrand

4. Bernie Sanders

5. John Hickenlooper

6. Joe Biden

7. Michael Bennet

8. Eric Swalwell

9. Mariann Williamson

10. Andrew Yang

In reply toRe: msg 3
Robert H (Hokie67)

Jun-29

Putting the 20 together... with comments:

1. Elisabeth Warren - Looked fit... physically, emotionally and intellectually strong. 

2. Kamala Harris - Looked powerful. Looked like a leader.

3. Julian Castro - Looked awfully appealing to moderate GOP AND Dems plus Indies plus minorities

4. Pete Buttigieg - Understands the human nature. Military service a huge plus.

5. Amy Klobuchar - Quickest wit and connected the dots of the issues.   

6. Tulsi Gabbard - Fresh outlook on America. Military service a huge plus. 

7. Kirsten Gillibrand - One tough cookie. Understands the BIG picture.

Big GAP

8. Cory Booker - Transcends the race connection, but still retros to his roots, which is a plus and a minus.

9. Bernie Sanders - Looked old and frustrated until the final moments. Will he still look like an old, white man on January, 2021?   

10. Jay Inslee - Left coast all the way. But... didn't come across as an old, white man.

11.  Bill de Blasio - Finally... some spark to his comments.

12. John Delaney - No hope of winning, but really was grounded in his observations about our problems.

13. John Hickenlooper - Has a great story to tell about his state. 

14. Joe Biden - Acted like an old, white man living his career in a rear view mirror. Mr Nice Guy though.

15. Michael Bennet - Brings the Colorado mind set to the country. But... no breakout comments or ideas.

16. Eric Swalwell - OK, but almost pure chalk on the issues, which is better than not understanding them in the first place.

17. Tim Ryan - Intense... and probably represents his district extremely well. Not much universal appeal. 

18. Beto O'Rourke - Talk about snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory. Must make a better impression in person.

19. Mariann Williamson - Seriously. 

20. Andrew Yang - Better stick with his day job.

So much for applying my short hand notes. Going through the list again... the top seven would be a better Dem candidate than Hillary Clinton was in 2016. Unfortunately the next Dem date will most probably include the old, white men... Biden and Sanders. It really is time to pass the baton/torch, etc. It's time for them to retire to being Uncle Joe and Uncle Bernie of the Democratic Party. The less face time they get from here on out, the more recognition the top seven will get. And that's all a couple of these folks need.  

In reply toRe: msg 4
Robert H (Hokie67)

Jun-30

The less face time they get from here on out, the more recognition the top seven will get. And that's all a couple of these folks need. >>>>

I'm not an age-ist. That's why we've signed up for Heron Point and Kendal@Lexington. It's places like these where you see first hand... people not giving in to the aging process. At the same time... there is an affliction that comes with age... living life in a rear view mirror.

OK - back to the point about Sanders and Biden. Think about it... having either or both of them being the face of the Dems... trying to beat Mr tRump in 2020. Think about how old and tired Hillary looked at times in 2016.

I've been around lots of young people over the last several years... and lots of Millenials. Look at the world that they're about to inherit from the Baby Boomers. Why would you want the folks who created all the problems try to fix them... after the cows have left the barn? Really???

The sooner the Dems understand this, the sooner things will start to change. Whether you're a Dem, RePub or Indie... think Jesse Colvin.