Robert H (Hokie67)

Citizens for Kent County

Hosted by Robert H (Hokie67)

All Kent County, Maryland. All the time. A discussion of everything about our slice of paradise.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Nice Speech   Elections & Politics

Started Aug-5 by Robert H (Hokie67); 180 views.
Robert H (Hokie67)

Aug-5

Mr tRump stayed on script this  morning and said the right things... finally. Yeah, it would have been nice for him to lay out some hard cold plans, but it was a start. Now... he needs to stay on script when he starts ad libbing and tweeting. Then... he has to keep calling out 'gun violence' and 'racism' and not let 'shoot 'em' or 'send her back' slide at his rallies. Finally... get Congress to do something... but gun violence and immigration are two separate issues and should be dealt with as individual issues.

And while I'm giving Mr tRump advice... stop with these tariffs... and learn what 'free trade' is all about. And guess what? He bluffed and China was holding a full house. That should be a lesson learned.

In reply toRe: msg 1
Robert H (Hokie67)

Aug-5

stop with these tariffs>>>>

Today's stock slide should be an even bigger 'tell'. 

Papiols

Aug-6

Is China friend or foe? Do we have legitimate complaints on trade, intellectual property? Are we the good guys or the bad guys? 

Robert H (Hokie67)

Aug-6

Is China friend or foe?>>>>

More friend than foe when it comes to outcomes, especially when it comes to our economy. Plus... their leaders don't care if any of their programs make life more difficult for their citizens. What we're doing hurts our citizens more than it does China. 

Do we have legitimate complaints on trade, intellectual property?>>>>

Tariffs aren't the answer to either issue, especially when it comes to trade. China will always have the last laugh, because their leaders control their currency and debt. I agree with Mr tRump that America should come first, but he and his economics handlers have got to understand the consequences of their actions. Protecting intellectual property is just as much a domestic issue as it is a global one. It's just magnified when it comes to the Chinese. So far... nobody seems to have the answer that balances protection and innovation.  

Are we the good guys or the bad guys?>>>>

We're always the good guys... except when we're not. :-) Maybe the better question is... if we're the good guys, then why are we making such bad short term decisions on fiscal and monetary issues. It seems like the answers are beyond the 'experts' in DC. Maybe... when the swamp was drained... too many great minds were thrown out with the swamp water. 

BTW, I don't think that Nancy P, Elizabeth Warren, Bernie S or Joe Biden have any better solutions, but they're in the kabitz gallery rather than the firing line and can play politics with whatever happens.

You must have some thoughts on these intriguing questions.   

Papiols

Aug-6

I do. I think the American worker has been sold out by the people they thought were patriots. I think the American people were largely ignorant of the transfer of American technology to China in the 1990’s and still largely ignorant of the way Chinese society is organized. I think from top to bottom there has been rank corruption and  US security has been compromised by those who occupy positions of power in our intelligence community, justice and finance. I have lost my trust in whole organization. A few names in the mix. Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton, Mitch McConnell, Nancy Pelosi and Diane Feinstein. 

Loral and Lockheed Martin to name two contractors charged with supplying critical missile technology. Today, I would add Google, supplying hacker technology and complicit in censorship and  Chinese propaganda. I believe this is not inconsistent with deep state policy here in the United States, which has a similar relationship with Google.

So, my question is why all the bipartisan ( sic ) support now for tariffs? And if we are in the beginning of a protracted trade war to secure American interests, there may be some collateral short term damage to some portfolios. You seem to think China holds a winning hand. There are more than a few free traders who think targeting China with tariffs is the exception this time. Trump has had China on his radar from the beginning. Campaigned on it. There are a lot of shoes left to drop in the wake of the failed coup attempt. 

Robert H (Hokie67)

Aug-7

You seem to think China holds a winning hand.>>>>

They don't care about getting re-elected. :-)

There are more than a few free traders who think targeting China with tariffs is the exception this time.>>>>

Paps, they could be right and they could be wrong. What these folks can't reconcile is tariffs and a strong dollar. On the other side... the tax cuts weren't the driving force in the economy as expected. It was the cash on hand that caused the blip.

Our healthcare costs are strangling many low to low-middle income families AND Millenials (plus their student loan debt). That in turn is one of the factors slowing home sales.

You might want to chat with some farmers and small manufacturers. The ones I've talked with seem to think that the tariffs are hitting their bottom line. They're still making $$$'s, but not as much as they would otherwise.    

Papiols

Aug-7

This is Cold War. The economic pain is probably a small price to pay. BTW, that price is paid by everyone buying Chinese goods in the form of the tariff tax. The strong dollar deserves another rate cut. We could get into the weeds with Chinese non-financial debt and there own demographic and housing issues. The Communist/Capitalist hybrid is facing competition from India with a growth rate currently exceeding that of China. India is a democracy. Let’s see how Hong Kong unrest is handled. Another reason Trump deserves 4 more years if you think continuity is a problem. BTW, Isn’t it a Democrat meme, fairness over profits? MAGA

PS. How does quality healthcare advance when doctors become employees of the state? 

Robert H (Hokie67)

Aug-7

How does quality healthcare advance when doctors become employees of the state? >>>>

I made a statement of fact. Stick with the issue. How do you fix this dilemma? 

The economic pain is probably a small price to pay.>>>>

Yeah, people are just collateral damage. You must be hangin' with Bolton or some other hawk.

And... the ace in the hole... China owns $1.1 TRILLION of U S debt instruments. 

Papiols

Aug-8

...You must be hangin' with Bolton or some other hawk.....

You seem tired Bob. While I admit the there are issues, Chestertown Hospital being an example, you keep throwing it  back to me to come up with a solution. Bernie wants Medicare for all, free education through college, forgive school loans, rebuild rural America while creating high tech jobs in these communities, end fossil fuel production in 10  years, reduce the military, prosecute drug company CEO’s and tax Wall Street traders. That is the gist of most of the proposals on the Democrat left. The Green New Deal is being sold as an economic stimulus package. The lib’s in Chestertown can’t keep one hospital running. My wife was once Director of Health services Herron Point. You know the costs associated. How will Medicare for all affect you when private insurance becomes illegal? Are you seeing any collateral damage here? 

Robert H (Hokie67)

Aug-9

throwing it  back to me to come up with a solution. >>>>

Maybe... just maybe... I don't like the solutions being offered by many of the folks running for prez as dems... and I don't like the candidate running for prez as a RePub. So... I thought I'd give you a chance... first... mainly because you're a great second guesser. :-)