Message Board (Read-Only Folder)  -  Message miscounts? (204 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 17) 
Lately, I'll get a number of unread messages on the My Forums page for my forum, but when I get there, there are far fewer than it says. It's not deleted messages, either.

Like tonight it said I had 11 new messages, 1 to me. I got there and only got 3 new messages including the one to me.

Options 

From: Cstar1 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host6/16/02 8:28 AM 
To: Deb (dafla)  (2 of 17) 
 34219.2 in reply to 34219.1 
Deb, there are two possibles - if it's not a forum you have full access to, you will see the message count that includes folders you don't have access to. Other possibility, is that you're seeing this elusive bug that seems to be cropping up lately showing an incorrect count on the page.

Cstar
Delphi Forums

Options 

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host6/16/02 8:51 AM 
To: Deb (dafla)  (3 of 17) 
 34219.3 in reply to 34219.1 
One thing that also messes up the count will be that if a message is deleted, or moved to a folder you don't have access to, it still is in the count.

Glen
Delphi Forums
Executive Council - Host Support

Don't forget. The old Hosts forum closes June 17 and Hosts can receive help at http://forums.delphiforums.com/hosts , the new Hosts forum. That forum is open and ready now.

Options 

To: Cstar1 DelphiPlus Member Icon   (4 of 17) 
 34219.4 in reply to 34219.2 
I'm the wizard...I have access to everything. Like I said, not deleted messages or moved messages.

I read on another forum where someone has not been getting notifications of messages to him, and missing messages. I've had to go in and show all messages and just go through and see if I missed anything.

As you know, it's important for a forum host to be able to know of and see all messages, so they can respond to them.

Options 

From: EdGlaze DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host6/16/02 10:44 AM 
To: Deb (dafla)  (5 of 17) 
 34219.5 in reply to 34219.4 
Another possibility, though somewhat unlikely, is that you are viewing a cached version of your MY FORUMS page. Maybe refreshing the page would have changed the message counts.

Options 

To: EdGlaze DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 17) 
 34219.6 in reply to 34219.5 
I don't think so. This is when I first come online, usually, or when I go from another forum back to My Forums. Wouldn't that automatically refresh it? I'll try it and see what happens.

Is e-mail notification having problems? Like I said, some people say they aren't getting their messages.

Options 

From: PriestessKitten (Kitten145) DelphiPlus Member Icon6/16/02 10:49 AM 
To: Cstar1 DelphiPlus Member Icon   (7 of 17) 
 34219.7 in reply to 34219.2 
i had the exact opposite happen to me last night. it said there was 1 new message, and 1 unread to me. but when i got into the forum (webtag=survivorsunite) there were 5 new messages and 3 unread to me.

Options 

From: EdGlaze DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host6/16/02 10:53 AM 
To: Deb (dafla)  (8 of 17) 
 34219.8 in reply to 34219.6 
There have been some recent complaints about e-mail notifications so there may be problems.

I quit using e-mail notifications months ago and rely on the MY FORUMS link to keep me informed.

What puzzles me is that some people like e-mail notifications since they go directly to the message addressed to them without reading the previous posts in the thread. It would seem they miss out on much of the discussion that way and possibly important stuff that would affect how they might make their response.

Options 

From: EdGlaze DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host6/16/02 10:54 AM 
To: PriestessKitten (Kitten145) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 17) 
 34219.9 in reply to 34219.7 
That is actually a much more likely scenario since the MY FORUMS data is very time dependent. In a busy forum there are often several posts made while you are reading or answering another.

Options 

From: PriestessKitten (Kitten145) DelphiPlus Member Icon6/16/02 10:57 AM 
To: EdGlaze DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 17) 
 34219.10 in reply to 34219.9 
Hmmm, that's a good point. I didn't think of that. Thank you.

Options 

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-17
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.